Sunday, May 19, 2013

Asymmetrical Leopard Maxi Dress DIY

I used to be animal-print-phobic and now I've made a full length dress out of it.  It's funny how tastes can change.

As mentioned in a previous post, I love maxi dresses for their comfort, but have a hard time finding a modest one.  Many have a tendency to be strapless or spaghetti-strapped so I added cap sleeves and raised the neckline to make this maxi more covered up.  I also aligned the darker ombre edges to my sides to create a visually slimming effect.

Asymmetrical Leopard Maxi Dress DIY

Asymmetrical Neckline

Fabric: Polyester (feels nice and silky) from Joann's, 2 yards

Time / Difficulty: 2 days, had issues with puckered seams (shakes fist), would be easy with a straightforward fabric like cotton.  This one was pretty, but aggravating.

Pattern: Butterick B5317 bodice and sleeves (slimmed bodice, modified neckline, added waistband), self-drafted skirt

With the leftover fabric, I made a little mini skirt for E :)

Do certain trends ever win you over after a period of time?

7 comments:

  1. Love how it turned out! My mom had a dress which had a similar neckline!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your maxi and E's skirt is soooo stinkin' cute! Goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow this looks more like a gown! Hi baby e.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dress is gorgeous and I love the fabric!

    www.shelbyfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE! And very cute skirt for E :). Totally hear ya on trends winning me over over-time. This exact trend actually! Haha. Would never even go near animal print, and now have a maxi dress in leopard! Also have a leopard scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is beautiful! Love the neckline of the Maxi dress.

    Have a great day. Hop over to my blog when you have time.

    xx
    Seepz
    That Sassy Girl
    That Sassy Girl on Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trends always win me over. =\ Your dress is so glamorous and your daughter is the cutest!

    ReplyDelete

I'm the type of gal who gets giddy when I receive mail - it's no different with comments! I really appreciate the feedback and love hearing from you :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...