Thursday, May 30, 2013

Going Graphic w/ a Coat DIY

As per my earlier Instagram, though summer is quickly approaching, all I can think about lately are sewing coats.  Cubicle land is chilly and I figured this jacket would be a nice alternative to my typical blazer / cardigan options.  I also wanted something frivolous and fun - something I wouldn't necessarily want to pay for - but have always wanted to have.

Fabric: Joann's, 2 yards, home decor, 45", 100% cotton

Pattern: Butterick 5500 (actually a shirt dress pattern that I'm using as a coat), narrowed frame (using this method) and sleeves, also shortened sleeves to 3/4 length

Difficulty: Intermediate

Time: 2 days, maybe ~5-6 hours total?

Graphic Coat DIY

This coat was made to be worn closed, but I feel like the print looks too overwhelming like that.  In general, I felt like the coat came out decently.  My biggest complaint is the back.  See that poof above my rear?  Eyesore.  I need to find a way to mitigate it or else try a different pattern next time.

My next coat (inspired by Jean's Emerson Fry coat) will be made from this fun leopard print

Also on deck will be a striped coat of some sort.  I'm enjoying the freedom of frivolity in sewing :)

12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I am still in the skirts and dresses stage, not brave enough to sew a coat! I'm trying a maxi next, any advice on how to sew stretchy jersey? My guess is with wax paper, but what do I know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      On a regular machine, use a zig zag stitch or serge the whole thing (what I do) :) If you want it to have more structure while sewing, use a starch spray. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  2. LOVE the coat and the graphic fabric you used. I think you did a great job with it and wouldn't have noticed the back if you didn't mention it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the graphic coat and can't wait to see the other 2 creations! Hope you find a fix for that poof in the back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the print! it's so bold and beautiful! i have never sewn a collar before, is that hard to do?
    for the back poof, i wonder if it will fix that if your brought the darts down maybe 4-5"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. or what i meant to say was to lengthen the dart so it does pass the poof

      Delete
    2. Thanks Ping -will have to try that!

      Delete
  5. I have no idea what to do about that poof! but yeah that does look gorgeous and cant wait to see other fun prints.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love the print. It's so unique. You and Ping make me want to pull my sewing machine out of the storage lol =) Looking forward to see the leopard coat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely adore the print and style of you DIY coat! It looks like designer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooooh....nice, SPG. Not only do you sew cute things, but you style them so well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know I'm not a sewer, but maybe you can cut a slit in the black for that poof? Gorgeous open with a pop of color inside. I can see this being a great winter to spring transition coat.

    7% Solution​

    ReplyDelete

I'm the type of gal who gets giddy when I receive mail - it's no different with comments! I really appreciate the feedback and love hearing from you :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...