Wednesday, May 8, 2013

DIY Projects in Progress

My creative side is a little scatterbrained and prone to flights of fancy.  It flits from project to project, sometimes finishing something, but more often going off to start something new.  At the moment, I am working on 4 skirts, 1 dress, 1 top, and a pair of pants.  It's a good thing I also have a rational side, otherwise I'd never be employable!

2 projects in progress - a leopard maxi and a peplum brocade top

I adore the ease and comfort of a maxi, but really wanted something with more coverage as many maxi dresses tend to be strapless or spaghetti-strapped.  I decided to add short sleeves, but as I pondered the dress on the far left, it seemed to skew on the side of being dowdy / old-fashioned.  To modernize it a little, I did a little snipping and gave the collar an angular, asymmetrical look.  It's a small change and it probably still doesn't exactly look youthful, but I like it much better.

My second project is a peplum brocade top.  Inspired by this Vera Wang dress, I fell in love with the notion of beading brocade.  It seems like such a deliciously luxurious idea.  I just recently finished putting the top together so I still need to lay out the bead design and then bead by hand.  

How do you tackle your projects? Do you finish one before starting another or do you start multiple ones as the mood strikes?

7 comments:

  1. with some bright accessories, I think the maxi will be uber youthful despite it not being strapless or spaghetti-strapped. i bought a v-neck one with thicker straps from a blogger and plan to wear it this weekend (finally!). so you're right, it's hard to find non-skimpy ones. as for the brocade, i can't wait to see it all hand beaded! Wow! Usually, i'm also all over the place when it comes to projects b/c I'm easily frustrated so it's good to walk away and come back refreshed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dress looks so comfy! I do like the angular neck better than the former. I agree with liascng about adding bright accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo both projects look terrific! I love that your project are varied and looking at your finished projects is always a treat.

    When it comes to blogging, I tackle multiple projects at once...at any given time I will have two dozen half-written drafts in need of extra attention. I kind of like that I get to be irresponsible when it comes to blogging and there is no real schedule to adhere to. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. the maxi is so elegant and the angular neckline is just exquisite!! not dowdy at all. when i start a DIY project, i will work at it until i finish it and then go onto another project. i can't do multiple things at once, not quite sure why?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the same.. Work on 2-3 things at a time :) Im glad you added the SPG zing(second pic) to the maxi dress :) Cant wait to see how you style the peplum top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love multitasking, but can't deal with unfinished stuff. I like to finish stuff right away because I DON't have patience! I am loving that peplum top and a maxi is on my list of projects. Always amazed by your talent, S!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i can't wait to see it all styled the S way! love your projects!! xo

    ReplyDelete

I'm the type of gal who gets giddy when I receive mail - it's no different with comments! I really appreciate the feedback and love hearing from you :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...