Sunday, September 2, 2012

Mother-Daughter Chevron Pleated Skirts DIY

Aside from the normal preparations of going back to work, I also knew I wanted new family portraits done for my desk.  I can't tell you how many stressful moments have been alleviated by staring at baby pictures of my son.  Puts everything into perspective rather quickly.  :)

Family portraits are kind of tricky to me.  I wanted to wear something relatively classic looking so the pictures wouldn't look too dated when we looked back at them years from now.  I also wanted the whole family to look cohesive (yes, I've been watching too much Project Runway) so decided that everyone should wear blue.  I took it to the next step and decided to play matchy-matchy with Baby E again by making us both pleated chevron skirts.

DIY Mother-Daughter Chevron Pleated Skirts (buy here)
I know you can't see our faces in this pic, but this is one of my favorite candid shots from the session :)
And see that "glow" on my arms?  It was a HOT day for photos.

 I think it was Jean who mentioned that she trusts the camera much more than the mirror.  So I pondered between 2 classic button-downs via photos.  I'm glad I did!  I preferred the light blue in the mirror, but the dark navy looked so much better in the photo due to the contrast.  The pictures also told me to nix the necklace for being too busy. 
(And if you're wondering, I have not yet fixed my ball of hair here since these were taken the same day as the black sheath post, but appreciate all your helpful tips!)

If interested, you can order these at my Etsy store.
Skirts are custom made to your waist measurement and length preference.
Baby / Toddler version also available by special request :)

Sooo, mother-daughter outfits - take advantage while she's too young to be embarrassed or stop it already?  :D

P.S.  Now that I'm back to work, blog posting may be a little erratic as well as general interaction.  If you have a question or need anything, I'm usually the best at responding via Twitter (I know that's weird, but the limited characters works well for me) followed by email.

38 comments:

  1. Love the mother-daughter matching skirts! Definitely keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute skirts! I do agree with the mirror vs. camera theory! And good idea losing the necklace! It would be pretty for a work outfit, but like you said, too busy for family pictures.

    Hope you have a nice first week back at work!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and baby are so cute! Love that photo. Racheal Zoe says the same thing in magazine about mirror vs camera... and I agree with that.

    Hope you have a nice work week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your family photo must be super cute! I love the skirt on you and your daughter! Now I'm contemplating if I need a chevron skirt in my closet, haha! I also use my camera as a deciding factor on my outfits these days....especially since I don't actually own a full-length mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh your daughter is so cute. Love the matching skirts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that pictures is so adorable. you look beautiful and classic :) good luck back at work!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my goodness. I so want to dress in mommy and me outfits when I grow up (hahaha). You did a wonderful job with the skirt...I love photo shoots hope your pictures came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those have to be the cutest matching outfits I've ever seen!!! I can't believe how precious that is!

    xo Jenny
    www.crazystylelove.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! I love the matching skirts. Baby E must be the cutest kid on the block =) How was your first week back at work after a year-long maternity leave?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the matching outfits! It's going to be hard getting back to work huh? Keep up the DIYs :) I love seeing them

    katattack2000.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Magnificent DIY. You and baby E are too adorable with the matching skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I'm going to have to get one of those chevron skirts! It looks lovely on you and baby E! I hope you'll post some more pics from your photo shoot :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww such sweet mother-daughter moments.
    I have this chevron dress that does not fit me well & I'm about to donate it to Goodwill or Salvation Army, but I think you could do wonders with the material and deconstructing it. Would you be interested???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for thinking of me! We just found out we are moving so am putting DIYs on hold. Thankfully, I still have some from the summer that can be posted in the meantime :)

      Delete
  14. I love the mother-daughter skirts. what a perfect and cute idea for a photoshoot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. you look fabulous as always! i love that you and baby E match. it's so adorable. it was a great idea to take pictures to assess how the outfit would look.

    xox P

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is just too cute!! While I'm scared to death of having a baby, it would be fun for the dress-alike reasons. This chevron skirt has got to be one of my favorite things that you've made.
    :)
    Allison
    A's Fashion Files
    Shop Kawaii Kitsch by A on Etsy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous! I love that you and your little lady are dressed alike!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is beyond adorable!

    I also agree with the comment that the camera is a better judge than the mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love chevron. That first photo of you & your daughter is SO adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. this is TOO adorable!! i love the skirts!!

    xo,
    Sandy
    Sandy a la Mode

    ReplyDelete
  21. How cute! Love the mother daughter skirts!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE love love that first picture. It's so adorable! The skirts are amazing and you're right, the dark shirt is much better. So cute! :)

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my goodness, S! The matching outfits are so adorable. What I really liked is how you styled your outfit with brown heels and E in pink crocs (?). Would love to see a family photo of all 4 of you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awww....how adorable! Let me check if I'm following you on Twitter yet.

    ReplyDelete
  25. AHHH!!!! way too cute! i love the matching print pattern and chevron is so in. your daughter is sooo lucky to have a designer mom hehe

    pandaphilia style

    ReplyDelete
  26. I absolutely adore the first pic with your daughter...I saw that on your etsy shop first before you posted this. LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  27. SO adorable!!! I love the print and the silhouette of the skirt!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful skirt, the first pictures is very cute ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ohhh,wow! you have talant, chic :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. The skirt is so pretty. The picture of you two is just so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  31. i love all chevron so of course i love this skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the matching outfits and it has inspired me to do the same for my own family pictures. I also have a daughter who just turned 1, and the print is adorable for all age groups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you for your comment! We used to dress without any coordination and I felt like the coordinated pics looked nicer for us. Maybe made us look more "together" :) Happy birthday to your daughter!!

      Delete
  33. the chevron print is so in and super cute on you and your daughter! :)

    -Blaire
    cutecraftyfun.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  34. I watch a lot of PR too! You guys looked great in blue! And I LOVE the matchy matchy for mom and daughter. Do it while you can :). Great chevron skirt!

    ReplyDelete

I'm the type of gal who gets giddy when I receive mail - it's no different with comments! I really appreciate the feedback and love hearing from you :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...