Sunday, September 23, 2012

Gone Dotty: Kate Spade Inspired Dress

Ever since going back to work 4 weeks ago, I haven't DIY'ed anything.  Between work, the kids, and the impending move, the SPG household is quite hectic.  Thankfully, I DIY'ed so many garments during the summer, I still have some items to post during this crazy period.

To my favorite bloggers - I am very behind on visiting most of your blogs and I apologize!  I hope to come by soon. :)  I'm also behind on responding to comments, but I want to thank everyone for your birthday wishes to "Baby" E and your kind words on the recent PFC post!

This DIY is inspired by Kate Spade's Jillian dress, but it went awry in 2 main ways.  One, I got distracted while I was cutting my fabric and wound up making the bodice way too short (hence the bow is directly under my bust rather than at my waist).  Two, this print is too busy to really see the bow detail from afar.  It's not my best work and definitely not very close to the inspiration, but fortunately (whew!), it's still wearable.

My cutting mistake did allow for enough leftover fabric to create a top so stay tuned for Part 2 on Wednesday :)

DIY'ed Kate Spade Jillian Inspired Dress in Polka Dots
Tesselate Inspired Necklace (eBay)
Jeweled Giraffe Bracelet (eBay)

I've been buying a lot of jewelry on eBay lately.  The prices are phenomenal and I love having the option of buying something inexpensively when it's trendy, I can't DIY it, or both.

Inspiration: Kate Spade Jillian Dress

Only 2 more weeks until the movers come!  Once we get unpacked and settled, I'd like to give the Jillian dress another shot.  This time with the waist at the appropriate height and hopefully, better visibility of the bow and it's side construction.

Do you have any fun projects waiting in your queue?

29 comments:

  1. Despite the blunder with the tie-waist, I still think it looks really cute! Love the accessories you paired with it!

    Good luck with your move! Keep in touch regarding your possible Vegas and Seattle stops! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dress is super cute! Love your choice of polka dot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still think the dress is super cute! No one would ever be able to tell that it was sewn "wrong"! I love how you chose the polka dot print. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You dress looks super cute and I can't notice anything. I can't wait to see your top! Hope your transition back to work has been going well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The shortened bodice seems like a happy mistake, and suits the fun print. I also really love your giraffe bracelet - understated at a distance, whimsical up-close.

    Good luck on your move!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually like your higher bow version than the Jcrew one! It gives more volume to the skirt. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still really like it! I get that it's not like your inspiration, but you created something else nice and new.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love this! You're being way too hard on yourself, this dress is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually really like the higher waist line. And when you make another one (I hope you will have some DIY time for yourself soon again!), it will look so different you wouldn't notice they are the same dress!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the dress you made. And I honestly like the bow higher on yours than the original. I think it gives your waist better definition than it would have if it was lower. So cute! Good luck with everything in the next few weeks! :)

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love this dress! you did a great job, and i would not have noticed the location of the bow!

    you look gorgeous! xox P

    phiphisblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the bow looks just as great under the bust!Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. well, it could be empire waist.

    i LOVE this giraffe bracelet! i like quirky fun jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i still think you did a great job! the mini belt ties it all together! (pun intended). kate spade makes the darnedest cutest dresses/purses/decor. ogling their design aesthetic constantly. good luck on that big move! you'll be there before you know it :)

    pandaphilia style

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this outfit. Would be really cute with a solid (black? white? any color, really!) bow to make that part stand out.
    I wish I had a sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm thinking of maybe adding piping next time? We'll have to see what the print looks like :)

      Delete
  16. Agreed with the others, I think the higher bow works well on you and like it better than the JCrew placement.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is another winner of a dress. The bow detail on the waist is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, even though you are not totally happy with the results, I honestly think it is fabulous! It really looks so great on you, and I can't believe you made it. Just gorgeous!

    xo Jenny
    www.crazystylelove.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Adorable dress.....personally, I like it better than the Kate Spade one!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the dress! But can't wait to see what the perfectionist in you creates once you've completed your move (good luck with it! we just did it last weekend. definitely takes a while to settle in!). And I've got alterations to make to some pieces once we are settled, hopefully in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. gosh you are so talented!!!! i love this dress and love the polka dots too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. very romantic dress :)
    http://she-is-the-1.blogspot.ch/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a pretty dress. Love your version better :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love this dress! The polka dots are so adorable on you. I definitely need to learn how to sew!

    -Tiffany
    http://stylesidebar.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. This dress is absolutely gorgeous and beautifully made. The fabric is spectacular! I also like polka dots dress it is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  26. i like your polka dress better than the kate spade one....

    -liv
    http://chocolivlovelaugh.blogspot.kr/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...