I admit it - I sometimes stalk hubby's side of the closet for items that shrank in the washer. Sometimes I cut them up for embellishments and sometimes I turn it into other garments. This one was a red Banana Republic v-neck sweater that fell victim to the washer. Even shrunken, it was still big on me, so this tutorial will go over slimming a sweater and turning it into a cardigan.
See tutorial after the jump...
- Trim (optional)
1. First, try on the sweater. Typically, you would pin the sweater to fit you, but I don't have this kind of dexterity. So I took a piece of chalk and marked the location of my armpit, chest, and waist.
2. Using those markings, I connected the dots to draw in where I would be taking the sweater in.
3. Sew along the lines and try it on. Let it out or take it in depending on fit. Once you get the right fit, cut the excess fabric and serge to prevent unraveling.
4. Now draw a line down the center of the front and cut. Serge each side. I didn't have a perfect red thread match so I knew I'd have to add trim to hide it.
5. I had this cream-colored swirly trim so I pinned it in place and handstitched it along the sides.
And voila, you're finished! The next time you need to throw something out, consider refashioning it!
Looking at this picture, I should shorten the sleeves too!