Mom's Lo Mai Fan
Per Mom, there are 2 main ways you can cook this. 1.) Toss raw rice into a wok and stir constantly until cooked or 2.) Soak rice overnight prior to cooking. Mom, always looking for ways to simplify things, does it a 3rd (fast and easy) way - cooking the rice in a rice cooker before stir frying it with other ingredients. This may sound obvious, but sticky rice is strangely temperamental. Cooking it on its own usually results in either a goopy mess or partially raw rice. The trick is to mix regular rice along with it to get the perfect level of "doneness."
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Due to the number of pictures, please see rest of the recipe after the jump.
Ingredients: (4 servings)
- 3 cups sticky rice (we use Mogami sweet rice)
- 1 cup regular rice
- Chinese sausage
- Chinese black mushrooms
- Dried shrimp
- Green onions
- Soy sauce
- Add both types of rice to your rice cooker and make sure to rinse grains thoroughly with water
- Cook rice (aka, push the button)
- Add your desired amount of dried shrimp into a small bowl and add just enough water to cover the shrimp. Let sit.
- Dice your Chinese sausage, mushrooms, cilantro, and green onions.
- After your rice is finished cooking, put your wok over medium heat.
- Add a little bit of oil into your wok and allow it to get hot.
- Add your sausage and mushrooms. Stir and cook for ~1 minute.
- Add your rice to the wok and stir.
- Add a dash of soy sauce and stir. Season to your liking.
- Add the dried shrimp as well as the water it was soaking in (gives it a little more shrimp flavor) and stir.
- Lastly, stir in your cilantro and green onions. Turn off heat immediately after stirring to prevent the greens from yellowing.
There you go - fast, easy, and tasty :) Enjoy!