Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Sewing Project: Belted Capelet

Though we had highs in the low 60s just a few weeks ago, we are now back to high 80s!   Nevertheless, I am gearing up for cooler weather projects.

I saw this DVF capelet at CUSP and fell in love with it!  The price is $395 and I didn't want to spend that much on something that I considered relatively trendy (versus say a classic trench) so I set off to make my own.



I knew I wanted something pretty neutral so I chose this black and white specked suiting material from Fabric.com for the project.


I found a pretty close pattern from McCall's - M5764 using View D (on model).  I would recommend this pattern to anyone who's interested in replicating it.
                                   M5764
I think it turned out pretty decent!



By the way, the jeans in this picture are those Gap cropped skinny jeans with zippers I bought on Columbus Day.  They are the perfect under-boot jean!  I've purchased jean leggings before for this purpose but they did not look like denim at all.  The only bad thing about them (like all of my jeans), they get looser and baggier as the day progresses so I might purchase a pair in a smaller size next time around.

My next project will be a peplum jacket using McCall's M5936 so stay tuned :)

M5936

8 comments:

  1. I wish I know how to sew, your projects all seem super complicated and I am so impressed by them. :)

    The capelet looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressive! The capelet looks great. I borrowed my Mom's sewing machine but haven't touced it yet :) I am looking forward to seeing your jacket. That jacket looks so fun

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I've said it before but I can't say it enough - you are SUPER talented! Really looking forward to seeing the peplum jacket!

    Curls and Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow that is really impressive!! you are so talented. i would toally wear that. can't wait to see your next project. you should totally sell you stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again, I can't believe you made that! i am also excited to see the peplum jacket, I'm sure it will look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love trying to recreate expensive RTW things - this is perfect. I prefer to sew my own things if it is ultra trendy, because it does cost so much less (not to mention things never fit right anyway).

    Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This turned out great! I really like how the material looks like tweed. It looks so warm and cozy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elle, C&P, Ping, TinyInTexas, PetiteXXS - You guys are so sweet - thank you so much!

    PLG - Thank you! Are you planning on any projects with the sewing machine? Maybe something for your little one? :)

    Littlenashua - Yes! It definitely costs a lot less so it's much easier to stomach only wearing it for a season or 2. Can't wait to see any of your future projects!

    ReplyDelete

I'm the type of gal who gets giddy when I receive mail - it's no different with comments! I really appreciate the feedback and love hearing from you :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...