Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Food, Friends, and Some Rambling

This past weekend, I had the pleasure of hanging out with the lovely Ping and Karen.  What did we do?  What we do best - eat and shop for fabric :)

First, my husband and I stopped off in Berkeley to try the famed pancake souffles at Bette's Oceanview Diner:

Chocolate Swirl Souffle Pancake
Have you ever seen such a beautiful pancake?  Incredibly fluffy and light, this pancake reminded me a little of the lightly sweetened cakes found in Chinese bakeries.  This singular pancake was quite large - perfect for sharing.

Homemade Corned Beef Hash
Ok, I am a very amateur, semi-shakey-handed photographer so while this photo does not convey how delicious it is, please trust me when I say that this was out of this world!  Flavorful with big chunks of corned beef and perfectly crisped edges, this was hands-down the best corned beef hash I've ever had.

How can you not love a place with a gigantic slice of pie hanging overhead?

In Oakland, we joined the girls to indulge in mac & cheese at Homeroom:
Homeroom pic from Ping's Instagram
Top: Gilroy Mac - Creamy gouda, sharp pecorino and just the right amount of roasted garlic
Middle Right: Mexican Mac - Niman Ranch chorizo, chipotle peppers, jack cheese, and cilantro, served with a wedge of lime
Bottom: Smoky Bacon Mac - Rich and bold with smoked cheddar, jack cheese and bacon

I love when an eatery "reinvents" mac & cheese.  Typically, it starts with the same base foundation and add-ins are the point of differentiation.  At Homeroom, each variant tasted distinctive and unique.  What a treat!  My favorite was the Mexican - the chorizo was divine and I loved the spicy kick.

On a personal front, I've been keeping busy.  I got a new job in a new industry, started commuting 3 hours a day (previous commute was only 20 min), and we are in process of purchasing a house.  I know I've been distracted and more absent (AND absent-minded), but I'm hoping to get back to normal once we move and settle in :)  Thank you for understanding!

Hope everyone has a wonderful week!

7 comments:

  1. Congrats to you and A on your new home! You must be thrilled since I know SF has your heart. Hope you see more of your new place once you’re settled in. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations on your new house! i am so happy for you and your family! i hope all is well. sending you big hugs. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know which one I'm more excited about for you, new job or new house. Probably new job because of how you felt about your old job. So congrats, S!! 1.5 hr commute one way is BRUTAL (and I'm used to experiencing/hearing about the horrific DC traffic). Oh my gosh, I really hope once you move into your new house, you'll be able to cut down on that so you can spend more time w/the kids.

    PS - DM me your new address once you're all settled in to the new home and become more comfortable with the new job please :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eating and shopping with gf's is always nice! I commute 2 hours/day roundtrip, so I feel you. Good luck on the house hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks like a wonderful trip! and congrats on your new job! and how exciting that you're moving into a new home too! we're actually in the process of looking ourselves but it's slow-going for us. congrats on all the exciting changes for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the new job! Are you moving away from the cows!?! Hopefully the new place is closer to your new work? 3 hr commute sounds rough!!

    Of course, hungry after reading your post...just about to go to bed, and craving a snack now. Thanks. :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. I basically love lobster mac and cheese! And those pancakes look amazing.

    7% Solution



    ReplyDelete

I'm the type of gal who gets giddy when I receive mail - it's no different with comments! I really appreciate the feedback and love hearing from you :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...