Thursday, November 7, 2013

LA: Fabric Steals & Taiwanese Food

Excited to revisit LA's Fashion District, home of fabric stores galore, I headed straight to Michael Levine's Loft store.  It was closed when I visited last time and I really wanted to see what kind of selection they had.  Fabric there is sold for $2.50 per pound.  I wound up with 14 yards of fabric at about 9 lbs, costing me a little over $24 after taxes.  This nets out to be $1.70 per yard which is a STEAL.  My bargain fabrics are around $3-$5 a yard and the majority of my fabrics cost $10 / yard.

The selection consisted primarily of knits in solid colors.  The staff was very friendly and the fabric bolts were neatly arranged by color.  They also had remnant bins of different types of prints / leathers / buttons / etc.

14 yards of fabric = 9 lbs = $24 (after taxes), Michael Levine's Loft
I purchased some cream sateen, striped / cobalt / magenta jersey, and a ruffled knit fabric to dress up little E.

I wanted to further explore the neighboring stores, but many close around 5:30 PM and it was starting to get a little dark.  Till next time!

On to the food!  SinBala is one of our favorite places to get Taiwan style milk tea, but we had never tried their food.
Sausage w/ Rice Plate
I've had Chinese sausage (lap cheong) before, but this was different and very tasty.  The skin seemed thinner, the filling lighter, and the general taste reminded me of Chinese roasted pork (cha siew).  I actually prefer this to cha siew because I get the same wallop of flavor without dealing with the inevitable chunks of fat / tendon / etc.  We wound up buying a package of their sausage to take home with us and will be buying more on our next trip.

Taiwan Style Milk Tea
There is an incredible depth of tea flavor in Taiwan style milk tea that gives it a hint of an almost coffee taste.  I don't know what it is or what kind of tea they use, but every time I have it, I recognize it instantly.  Can anyone shed some light on this or am I crazy?

Popcorn Chicken
Granted, popcorn chicken is hardly an adventurous choice, but this was highly recommended on Yelp and I wanted to see what it was all about.  I have to say that this was done very well and seemed like it was freshly prepared rather than frozen.  A very thin layer of batter coated the chicken (maybe just dredged in seasoned flour?) to give it the perfect crisp.

Have a great week!

11 comments:

  1. The food looks soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good (not sure that's enough o's in the so) but you must go to Taiwan for popcorn chicken, it will blow your mind. Actually, if I may say so myself, the Taiwanese are masters of the deep fryer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I love a good fried anything - need to find more of these locally!!!

      Delete
  2. I love Taiwanese food so much - unfortunately here on the Bavarian countryside this kind of food isn´t available ...

    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

    www.dressedwithsoul.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, hoping you get to satisfy your craving somewhere nearby soon!

      Delete
    2. I hope so soon ... thanks a lot for your kind comment, I wish you a happy rest of the weekend <3

      xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

      www.dressedwithsoul.blogspot.de

      Delete
  3. The cost per fabric is a huge steal! WOWEE! Can't wait to see what you make with it. And yum for authentic Taiwanese milk tea! It is quite the strong black tea they use (not sure what kind). I remember almost crying the first time I had it in Taiwan because I missed it so much ;). Stuff around us doesn't really come close. Yum, fried chicken. They know how to fry stuff, fo sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Need to research more about this black tea! So enamored with it!!

      Delete
  4. Ok I gotta say I love popcorn chicken!! Especially TW one!

    katattack2000.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the popcorn chicken! Quicklys used to have them but now they suck, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree! I'm not a big fan of food at Quickly's, but I do like their Tiger Milk Tea.

      Delete

I'm the type of gal who gets giddy when I receive mail - it's no different with comments! I really appreciate the feedback and love hearing from you :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...