Sunday, August 18, 2013

Bay Eats: Ramen Sets & Peppercorn Crab

I'm feeling a little under the weather today so I'll let the pictures do most of the talking :)

On most weekends, our agenda is dictated by what we want to eat.  In the SF area, the possibilities are endless.  On 2 recent outings, we decided to explore ramen and crab.

First up, Maru Ichi in Mountain View for ramen (~1300 reviews, 3.5 stars on Yelp).  The thing that struck me most when Yelping around for ramen were the various ramen combo sets that Maru Ichi offered.  We all tried a different set configuration.

Combo C: Kuro Ramen (garlic tonkotsu broth with roe and pork belly) with Negitoro (tuna belly and scallions on vinegared rice)
The noodles had a nice bite, pork belly was nicely marinated, and, true to its name, the broth was quite garlic-y (in a good way).  I loved that they had a "noodle room" up front by the entry where you could watch them make their own noodles.

Negitoro - kind of like a big deconstructed sushi roll.  Very large portion, fresh fish, and nicely flavored rice - my favorite part of the meal.

Combo B: Miso Ramen w/ pot stickers and California rolls
Always need a kid-friendly option!

 Combo A: Kuro Ramen w/ Curry Rice and Salad
My husband loves Japanese curry because it has plenty of curry flavor without being too spicy

Table garnishes included kimchi and dried garlic chips

Is it possible to be a crab-aholic?  We hit PPQ Dungeness Island (~1800 reviews, 4 stars on Yelp) to try their Peppercorn crab:

Peppercorn Crab with the Garlic Noodles
Both dishes had good flavor, but I felt like they were a little on the dry side.

Cabbage Salad (very good!) and Imperial Rolls

It's a good thing we spend 5 hours every weekend biking off the food we eat...

8 comments:

  1. have u tried thanh long for crab? it's pretty similar to PPQ. it's been awhile since i've been there so can't say if its any better. LoL!
    i've been wanting to try r&g lounge too, but its so freaking out of the way in chinatown. u should try and let me know how you like it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, need to bookmark those! Will def let you know :)

      Delete
  2. I feel like a crabaholic too! Just drooling over your pics and descriptions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I'm glad "crabaholic" is a thing :D

      Delete
  3. I'm feeling very hungry right now and your pics aren't helping, S! ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! Feel the same way about your food IG posts :)

      Delete
  4. I'm a huge, HUGE fan of ramen, but only really like the traditional kind. No fancy ingredients or broth... but I have to say the kuro ramen looks tasty. So jealous of all your good eats in SF!

    ReplyDelete

I'm the type of gal who gets giddy when I receive mail - it's no different with comments! I really appreciate the feedback and love hearing from you :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...