Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Snacks and Sweets in SF


HK-Style Desserts:
Thanks to an email from SF-based reader, Christine (thank you!!!!), I found my new favorite dessert place - Mango Medley.  Some might remember the (ahem) enthusiasm I had for desserts when we were vacationing in Hong Kong.  So you can imagine my excitement when we got around to checking this place out:

Mango Medley Delight (mango slices, coconut jelly, pomelo bits, Asian pear) w/ Buttermilk Panna Cotta

Mango Bliss (mango chunks, ice cream, coconut sauce) w/ Buttermilk Panna Cotta

Mango Cream Pillows w/ Coconut Ice Cream
You can customize these with your choice of ice cream flavor - taro, coconut, green tea, mango, or of course, vanilla.

Banana Cream Pillows w/ Coconut Ice Cream

White Chocolate HK Style Milk Tea
I'm a huge fan of Hong Kong style milk tea and really didn't think that anything could improve upon it.  I was wrong.  Add a dash of chocolate flavoring and it elevates the drink to a new level.

Everything at Mango Medley was incredibly fresh and you can tell they make everything to order with great care.

Bubble (Boba) Tea
My husband got me hooked on Milk Tea in college and I've been a bit of a fanatic about it ever since.  My favorites (aside from HK style) are the traditional Taiwanese milk tea (there's just an incredible depth of flavor - would recommend Sinbala in LA), Rose teas, and "Tiger" Milk Tea (a mixture of black milk tea & Thai tea at Quickly).  For toppings, I love honey boba, coconut jelly, pineapple jelly, and egg pudding.

On Irving Street, you can find several tea shops that offer a boba buffet where you can DIY your own concoction:

Tea Way

My favorites in the Bay area: black milk tea from Wonderful Foods Co, iced milks from Purple Kow (half-sweet), the "Tiger" milk tea mentioned above from Quickly, and rose tea from Tea Era (edit - this is actually in Mountain View - thanks for the heads up, Freecia!).

Bakeries:
As with anything else, SF has some amazing bakeries.  My favorites so far:
  • House of Silvanas (Filipino macaron-esque treats in Daly City) originally in this post.
  • Sheng Kee's Pineapple Raisin Buns (Irving Street)
  • Golden Gate Bakery's Egg Tarts (Chinatown) originally in this post.
Savory Snacks:
Here's another HK favorite of mine - faux fin soup.  Typically found in street stalls, the "fin" is made from noodles and the soup also contains shredded chicken, mushrooms, and sesame oil.  You can add a little red vinegar to give it some tang.  In SF, you can try it at Eggettes (can also order Regular, Chocolate or Honeydew flavored eggettes):
(Faux) "Fin Soup" - Eggettes

And a recent discovery of mine - fried fish skins:
Fried Fish Skins w/ Fish Broth (for dipping) - Soho Cafe (Dublin)

If you have any recommendations, please send them my way.  I love exploring good eats!

8 comments:

  1. The cream pillows look so good, I've never seen that before. I'm a long time fan of the famous dessert place in HK, and miss it a lot too actually. I wish we had more of these options in the states.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want all of those desserts! Ice cream pillows!? Oh my gosh!!! And customizable bubble tea??? I'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The faux fin soup sounds interesting. I recently started cooking with mushrooms, might have to create my own rendition of that. The selections at Mango Medley look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohh love tea way! i always go there after Saiwaii. i've never been to Mango Medley before -- looks amazing!! I also like Golden Island Cafe on Noriega, but I'm partial to this place because I've been going there since high school. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum! it looks so good. i'll have to check this place out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man the mango dessert looks sooo good! I love anything mango!!

    katattack2000.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. can i have an order of mango bliss?! that looks delicious!!! :D

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg, I used to go to Teaway every week. My drink was usually passionfruit or peach tea with green apple jelly. Sugar overload. & Sheng Kee is where my parents always got cakes! THanks for this post, brings me down memory lane!

    shortandsweetjoy

    ReplyDelete

I'm the type of gal who gets giddy when I receive mail - it's no different with comments! I really appreciate the feedback and love hearing from you :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...