Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Hong Kong Eats: Local / Traditional Foods

Food, always has been and always will be, one of the main reasons I love visiting Hong Kong.  There is no shortage of good eats.  It's times like these I'm thankful we walked so much in HK, otherwise I'd have turned into a big gelatinous ball on Day 2.

We got traditional foods:

We visited Tim Ho Wan, the world's cheapest Michelin-starred eatery, for dim sum:
 "wok hei" is the breath of a wok.  Gives it a unique "heat" flavor.  The closest thing I can think of that would be similar is a grilled flavor.
The Cha Siu Bao was the best I've ever had!  Light, crunchy, slightly sweet crust with savory, tender roast pork filling.  They definitely deserve their Michelin star!
Glossary: "cha siu bao" = roast pork bun, "bolo" = pineapple, "lo mai gai" = rice dumpling w/ chicken

Can you "Where's Waldo" my husband?  :)

We were no strangers to street eats:


We had milk tea. Every. Single. Day:


From street stalls to uber modern cafes, we never had a bad meal:


And we'd top it all off with...more food!

Just putting this post together makes me hungry!

11 comments:

  1. I love Hong Kong, looking at these photos makes me miss all the good food there. I loved the street stalls and desserts, and the "cha chan tang" style. This is making me want to make a trip to Hong Kong the next time I go back to Malaysia!

    - Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gaaah - I love all the food pictures! I'm so thankful that there are SO many great Chinese restaurants in Vancouver (well, more specifically Richmond, aka Hong Kong 2.0! lol). I'm totally craving dim sum now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fried tofu looks delish. I used to love turnip cake when I was younger, I haven't had it in so long!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok.. I checked this post after what I thought was a good lunch. But the pics and the dishes look so good that I feel like eating them all!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to get an early start on making dinner now because of this post! :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm I love HK food :) Mango sago yum!!

    katattack2000.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are making ME hungry!!! Good thing I just ate breakfast. I had NO idea that a dim sum place could get a Michelin star. That's pretty impressive!!!! And cha chan teng was my husband's favorite places to eat when we visited. It just brought back memories of his childhood, so sweet :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even know they were called cha chaan teng until you mentioned it in a previous post. Always called them HK style cafes :)

      Delete
  8. yum I love fried tofu & turnip cake and everything else you ate! They also bring back memories of when I used to live in Asia :)

    shortandsweetjoy

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks amazing. I really miss the traditional chinese breakfast.

    7% Solution​

    ReplyDelete

I'm the type of gal who gets giddy when I receive mail - it's no different with comments! I really appreciate the feedback and love hearing from you :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...