Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Reviews: Crossbody Bags - Kate Spade, Rebecca Minkoff, Coach, etc.

Before we had kids, I would carry oversized clunky shoulder bags, but I am now a huge fan of small-ish, lightweight crossbody bags.  It is such a relief to not have to worry about holding onto the straps or getting weighed down when one of the kids decides he / she is in need of being held.
Top: Kate Spade Grant Park Starla, Rebecca Minkoff MAC, Coach Crossbody
Middle: LV Pochette Bosphore, Prada Vela, Coach Station
Bottom: Rebecca Minkoff Mini MAC

Bag Essentials:  I move 3 items when I change bags - wallet, wristlet, and phone.
Long wallet with many card slots and a clear ID slot.  I hate bunched up dollar bills and having to dig out my ID so I was happy to find a wallet that addressed both of those issues.  Chose black as a good neutral to go with any bag color.
Wristlet to carry all of my small items and make bag transfer a simple process.  Holds gift cards / loyalty cards, makeup and hand towelettes, hair accessories, eyeglass cloth, lip balm, lip gloss, emergency concealer (for those midday pimples, grr), eye makeup remover to battle raccoon eyes, and salt for when I need to eat at my desk.
Phone - 'nuff said.

Bag proportions (I'm 5'2"):
Kate Spade Starla, RM MAC, Coach, LV Pochette Bosphore

Prada Vela, Coach Station, RM Mini MAC

Here's how the bags fare:

If you have similar needs to mine, I recommend Kate Spade and Coach.  Both brands have a good selection of leather bags, have many comfortable and lightweight styles that are small enough to keep you on the go, but big enough to carry your essentials, and the price point is pretty fair.  Both brands are usually in the $200s, but you can score better deals during sales, at outlets, or vintage (try to get these authenticated though [I use the Purse Forum authentication threads],  because there are many, many fakes out there.)  If you're a fan of LV monogram, I also recommend the Pochette Bosphore.  The coated canvas and low vachetta ratio (strap is canvas) means maintenance is practically nil.

And if you're wondering how the MAC compares with the Mini MAC:


When I looked at the measurements online, it didn't seem like the size would be very different.  In real life, the mini seems much smaller.  I love the look of it, but I really have to work to maneuver my wallet and wristlet into the bag.  I don't think I'll be keeping this one (hence the packaging is still attached).

Any favorite bags to recommend?

23 comments:

  1. Wow...what a great post! I enjoyed looking at your collection. I like the mini Mink, but that would be impractical for me. I will have to look into a wristlet. I use a purse insert thingie, but that isn't always convenient. I can see how you feel about the LV, but it looks gooood :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely loved this post because as a mom of twins, it seems like I'm forever in search of a good cross body bag. I too have an envelope wallet - so the ideal cross body needs to be able to accommodate that. Other essentials are a bag of wet wipes, phone, keys and maybe a small makeup bag.

    I have the Marc Jacobs quilted single - absolutely adore it because its so chic BUT I have to carry a teeny wallet when I use it.

    Love how you had pictures wearing all the bags. I thought a minkoff mini MAC would be my next purchase but I think now I will go for the MAC instead.

    Thanks again for such a super informative post ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i dont think u need a mini if u have the orig mac. plus, i feel ya. i have a big book-type wallet and it never fits in the mini mac.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice chart! I agree with Aubrey. Plus, you already have red bag fulfillment from your Kate Spade.

    Where do you get your makeup remover pads (the blue package)? On our vacation they were in the rental home we stayed at with the bath amenities...I loved them and was curious where I could find more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, they are from hotels too! We stayed for about a week so I stocked up on those :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for your review. It is really useful for me! I would love to have a nice crossbody bag for a while but do not actually have time to look for it. I'll start with your recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic post! I just bought my first cross body bag(Coach) and I'm already plotting which one should be by next!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the idea of a crossbody bag...but I find myself drawn to the mini versions of "it" bags (like the Celine nano or the teeny tiny 3.1 Phillip Lim Pashli Mini). I was told they fit a lot (you know, more than you think just looking at them), have you considered those? And if you have, why did you decide against them?

    Thank you for the reviews - they are super useful. I like the side-by-side comparison! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "it" bags are so gorgeous! It ultimately comes down to the price tag for me on those. I'm willing to buy what's trendy at lower price points, but my more expensive bags tend to be neutral colored and more on the classic side that will hopefully stand the test of time and be passed on to Baby E :)

      Delete
  8. i love crossbody bags! you have quite the collection! :)

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful post. Thank you for the reviews. I like the idea of a crossbody bag now I just need to decide what to get.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post. Across the body bags can be hard for petites to find at the so called adjustable straps are still too long once you have adjusted the. Thanks for sharing your reviews :-)

    www.petitestyleonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. great reviews! i've been slowly building up my purse collection and crossbody bags are on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh great post! I don't have kids but I love myself a good cross body especially one that's lightweight. Really love the the Kate Spade one! I have the MAC and I really love it but I just find it's quite heavy for everyday use even when practically empty. So I usually save that for when I'm only out for a short time or when I know I won't actually be carrying it much LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the great review, S! I seriously love your Kate Spade cross-body. I've been drawn to cross-body bags lately as well. I bought a similar Coach bag like the one Jean gifted you a few months ago and am loving it. I need to make a trip to the Kate Spade outlet at Jefferson soon =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a thorough review! Love the pictures and sizing/ease of use chart. The mini does look small from the side profiles and I see your wristlet barely fits. I only have 1 cross body, the new version of the legacy penny purse, and I love it for weekends and such. I move only the cards I need, it fits my phone, chapstick and keys, no problem. I should probably get a smallish wallet to hold those important cards so they don't slip out of the purse! Hehe. Great post. I pinned it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for posting such an informative and thorough. I have the mini mac but I can see how it's not easy to pull your wallet in and out from the purse. I'm really liking the Coach Station purse and I'm a huge fan of cross body purses. So helpful for funning errands (esp shopping) :D xoxo, Phoebe

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there, great post!! I was wondering where you got the mac and mini mac at such a discounted price? :O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the MAC during either the Black Friday or Cyber Monday sale and had a code on top of the sale price. For the Mini MAC, also sale but this time with a $50 gift certificate :)

      Delete
  17. Those were my fav bags on you too! Love the review post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I started getting into crossbody bags last year because I was sick of shopping with a shoulder bag. I'm a creature of habit and tend to carry things on one side of my body, so you can imagine my aching shoulders at the end of the day. The Mini MAC is a cute option! That was the bag I picked up last month and I love it. I really only need my wallet, phone, keys, & lip balm when I use the bag and it's enough space for me. The red is a gorgeous choice! Too bad it's small for you. :(

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a great review post! Thanks for all of the info! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm a huge fan of crossbody purses myself now - that Kate Spade is gorge, I may have to go spy that now. Is it recent?

    ReplyDelete

I'm the type of gal who gets giddy when I receive mail - it's no different with comments! I really appreciate the feedback and love hearing from you :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...