Wednesday, November 14, 2012

J. Crew Fitting Room Review: Stripes

This post is about a week old, but I believe J. Crew stores still have a 30% off sale promotion so the prices should be the same or lower.  I read on JCA that J. Crew is banning fitting room pics, but I'm wondering how they will enforce that.  Or more specifically, how strictly they'll be trying to enforce that.  Hmm, guess we'll see on my next visit.

I didn't even realize that I had an armful of stripes until the SA laid it out for me like this - stripeaholic indeed

Tortoise Button Sweatshirt in Stripe, XXS, $30, (sold out online)
Despite purchasing the red-white-blue sweater here and dress here (man alive, I've got a problem), I've still been keeping my eye out for a blue & red only striped combo.  This one fit the bill!  The word "sweatshirt" brings gray workout clothes to mind, but this one seems more like a sweater in a non-obvious sweatshirt-type material.  The result is a pretty and comfortable hybrid.  Love the colors!  The arms / shoulders / chest fit well without being too snug and the torso is loose for those big lunch / dinner days.
Verdict: This one is a keeper!

J. Crew City Mini, Sz 0, $15 in stores (buy here)
I LOVE the color of this skirt!  It matches my sweatshirt perfectly and the price is amazing, but I can't do the length.  I would prefer the length shown in the L photo (pulled way down my hips), but it wiggles back up to my waist as shown in the R photo.  I know the L length looks a bit frumpier, but it suits me and my lifestyle so much more.  The R length would just make me ultra self-conscious the whole time.  Aside from length, the skirt fits well since it has an elastic waistband.
Verdict: No, cute option, but too short for my taste

Rugby Stripe Boatneck Top, XXS, $14 (buy here)
I already have a black / white wide-striped sweater, but I was curious about the fit of this one and the price was awfully alluring.  This had semi-snug arms and an odd sleeve length - kind of in between 3/4 and full length.  I'm guessing it's just awkward because I have short arms.  Torso, as with other J. Crew garments, is a little loose.  Ultimately, I felt like the stripes were a bit too wide on this top.
Verdict: No, stripes are too wide for me

Diagonal Long Sleeve Sailor Top, XXS, $20 (?), sold out online
This looked gorgeous on the hanger, but I didn't like it as much when I put it on.  The way the mixed stripe panels fell made me think of a straitjacket (perhaps I've watch too much American Horror Story Asylum) and the torso was a bit too boxy for me.
Verdict: No

Stripe Hoodie, XXS, $20 (?), sold out online
This was comfortable and fit pretty well - slim, but not snug sleeves and a slight looseness in the torso.  I was drawn to the stripes on this, but came to my senses when I thought about how many similarly colored striped garments I had.  I also have a tendency to buy things that are wearable to work and this looked a little too casual.
Verdict: No

Weather was in the high 70s on this day!  Wearing my eShakti giveaway win from Vicky (thank you!!!) and "pretzeling" my belt the way Kileen taught us.

Warm weather dwellers - how do you dress?  Do you dress by season or by weather?  For example, is it a faux pas to wear spring / summer prints and sandals in the fall even if the weather is warm?

17 comments:

  1. Oh that dress is fantastic on you S! I hear you with the stripes - I'm the same with lace LOL!

    I don't really think it's a faux pas to dress for the weather. My only issue is that once Fall hits and I'm into my boots my toes get neglected so even if there was a sudden summer day I would not be sandal ready :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great sweater keeper up top. You might have a problem, but a beautiful one it is :). We all have our vices don't we :D. I almost got that same dress from eShakti, haha! I got a bird's one instead. I say warm weather = springy prints no matter the actual season :). No rules anymore! As for fitting room/store pics, I LOVE them. It's like the only way I shop b/c I do not trust catalog photos for one bit! What will JCrew be doing? Confiscating phones at the entrance? Peeking into rooms? That'd be certainly against the law!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness, i wish i saw the city minis for $15!! its so weird to see you still wearing sandals :) i miss warm weather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Jcrew has awesome stuff on sale! The store here is always priced high and I never find anything for the amazing prices you mentioned. Love the dress on you and i think the skirt is quite pretty. Cant make it work with tights?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha, I miss warm weather!! You're so lucky! :) So many great stripes! Love the one you chose! I have the wide stripes shirt and wear it all the time, but I'm still on the hunt for a great thin striped shirt too.

    xo Jenny
    www.crazystylelove.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the navy & red jumper on you. It fits perfectly. I believe that it's perfectly acceptable to wear spring/summer prints and sandals if the weather in autumn/winter is hot.

    Although living in the UK, I've never had the dilema.

    www.petitestyleonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha, i totally understand the stripe obsession; i recently bought two stripe shirts in a row without realizing it! it's too bad about the length of that skirt--the color is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm...very interesting about the JCA post regarding no pictures in the dressing room! So many comments on that to read through!

    I love the striped hoodie that you passed on...but not work appropriate so I can understand your pass (and if you have similar items already)

    Read through your previous posts...love your moving in posts. Love that you heard a cow while taking out the trash!! And so jealous that you are close to Ping! :p Wishing you the best in your new home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Living in FL, during the fall (once it cools a bit), I'll wear darker colors, but come January, I consider it resort season and pull out the brighter colors. We can always spot visitors though, because no matter when or what weather, they're wearing white shorts or pants. I wish I could find those sizes and prices at J. Crew :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice! It seems like some J. Crew stores are hit or miss - sounds like you live in a competitive shopping area :(

      Delete
  10. I think it's silly to ban pictures. In many cases, it's just bloggers commenting to help bring in business! But for me, I find that I get this blindness when I try on clothes-- sometimes I look at the overall look and don't realize specific fit issues (for me, the chest tightness) until it's too late. I see now that pictures don't lie, so I snap them and look at them to decide if things are pulling or misaligned.
    The first item is a cute one, it looks great without that moire effect that stripes can have.

    I think it's ok to wear spring/summer if the weather permits. It's like saying "take that Fall! I'll squeeze in one more day of summer". I do think it's weird to have say a strappy sun dress and layer it with thick tights and a sweater like I've seen in magazines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pictures definitely don't lie! I didn't discover this trick until I started reading blogs and now I find it to be an invaluable "3rd party" observer ;) Thanks for the thoughtful comment!

      Delete
  11. I really love that striped hoodie! So cute!

    Jenn
    A Petite Treat

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your dress is so cute and fun! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good reviews. I'm agreement w/all of your comments. A fail on the last sweatshirt is that the drawstring is white. It doesn't go. It needs to be black or the same color as the sweatshirt. The drawstring color made it look too casual. Nice on the tortoise button. It looks good on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh -- I dress by season. You've probably experienced a little of the Indian summer. I dress toward fall colors, but go sleeveless or wear maxi dresses. That way it's clear I know what season I'm in and am aware of the month, too. I saw some women in fall colors in the bright hot sun in Sept and it looked odd. I think if they had at least removed their tights they would've been ok. They were kind of going all out w/fall clothes and the weather wasn't right for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, tights in warm weather just seems odd. I guess there are some frigid offices though?

      Delete

I'm the type of gal who gets giddy when I receive mail - it's no different with comments! I really appreciate the feedback and love hearing from you :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...