Wednesday, October 31, 2012

LOFT Fitting Room Reviews & Getting Settled

I feel like it's been an eternity since I've gone shopping, but I'm happy to report that I'm still keeping a lid on the spending.  On today's excursion, I spent $9 on a pretty necklace that was 40% off - my $15 birthday discount.  I think all of the time off work for the move has made me feel like I'm back on leave and has curbed my appetite for spending money.  Anyhoo, on to the reviews!

Re: sizing - I'm starting to size down on most items nowadays due to recent weight loss.

Striped Bow Necklace 3/4 Sleeve Sweater, PXXS, $36 after 40% off promo
Stripes, sequins and a bow - it was like all of my current crushes all wrapped up in one garment.  The arms are rather snug on this sweater but the torso is loose.  I sometimes wonder if retailers (LOFT / J. Crew) do this so that you look slim while giving you room to eat a good meal.  I rather liked this sweater, but wondered if there were too many trends going on to wear in subsequent seasons.
Verdict: No for now, but would consider on further sale.

Crewneck Cardigan, XS, $27 after 40% off promo
I'm still searching for a good red-orange cardigan and the funny thing is that they all photograph well, but look kinda wonky with my skin tone in real life.  This was another one of those cases.  I liked the fit - everything was slim-fitting without being tight anywhere.  I would buy this in a different color if I needed one.
Verdict: No, color doesn't work on me

Animal Spots Print Long Sleeved Dress, 00 (I think)
I feel like this shift fit me much better than the one from J. Crew here.  The thing I didn't love about it was the puffy sleeve at the wrist.  I feel like a regular sleeve would have been more in keeping with the sleek lines of the dress.  It's also a bit too short for my taste - I prefer more of a just-above-the-knee length.
Verdict: No 

On to the personal part (feel free to tune out because this is wordy!) of getting settled:
We are officially moved in, but not completely settled in our new place.  We've gotten rid of approximately 2/3 of the boxes so far and I can't wait until everything is put away.

Some funny things I found out about myself during this move: 1.) I kept light bulbs in 4 different places (kitchen, office, dining room, and loft) but was only aware of one (kitchen) until a week ago.  2.) I kept an empty bag of Twizzlers from an 8th grade movie date (holy cow, that needed to be thrown away decades ago). 3.) We had little kid toys in every single room of the house.  Most notably, I found a giant lego block under my bathroom sink. 4.) We have an impressive amount of batteries that need to get recycled.   Time to invest in rechargeables only! 5.) Back in Ohio, all of our drives - to work, restaurants, and the mall - were 30-55 minutes away.  Here in CA, most things are about 15-20 minutes away and we are now feeling whiny about going any farther.

L) Our life in boxes
R) "Camping" on the floor.  The kids had fun.  Our backs did not.

Rolling my way to suitcase organization via Jean's nifty tip

I heard the mountains will green up with winter rain.  Do you see that black speck on the top left-hand side of the mountain?  That's a cow.  Imagine my surprise when I heard a "moo" while taking out the trash.

 Eating out in SF:
The line to this place is crazy!  Loved the "animal style" cheeseburger though and will definitely be back.

A partially eaten stuffed crab claw (dim sum) the size of my fist from Koi Palace.  I could never be a food blogger bc I often devour said food before I have a chance to take a picture.

Baked Egg Custard Bun

Egg Yolk Lava Bun 

Yummy Japanese food - that Bento box was the size of my toddler

Celebrating my birthday with a Chinese Fresh Fruit Cake

So aside from the 5 hours I spent at the DMV, I'm loving SF so far :)

27 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Glad to see you and your family settling nicely in SF, S. I enjoyed the blogger profile series, but I'm glad to see regular updates from you again :)

    From the photos, I'm assuming you're in suburban SF? I'm surprised at the time it takes to get around in OH vs. SF. Even though places are physically closer in SF, I thought there would be tons more traffic. I'm happy for your peace of mind that that's not true.

    I've never tried In-N-Out *ducks head* There are just so many other good places to eat when I visit the west coast! I had a puny lunch, so I'm drooling over your Japanese Bento box. Yum.

    Keep these updates coming! And lastly, HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading fitting room reviews. I agree with your views on all 3 items.

    www.petitestyleonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday! I keep a lot of random junk growing up as well.. I think I'll find many surprises when I move out. loll

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy (belated?) birthday to you! The food looks yummie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy belated birthday! glad you are liking sf so far :) koi palace is one of my favorite dim sum spots in the bay area!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated, SPG! And good to know you are getting settled. You think the lines to In N Out are crazy? Try Tartine, or BiRite ;-)(sooooo worth it though!)So happy we stole you away from the Midwest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy belated birthday! I loved in and out burger!! And lols to the cow

    Katattack2000.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy belated birthday! I really like the sequined striped bow sweater on you. I don't think it's a trend overload. All of that food looks so yummy! An egg yolk lava bun?! YUM. I'm an animal style cheeseburger lover, too. So good. Glad the move went well, and good luck unpacking the rest of your boxes! xoxo Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post, SPG! So many comments, not sure where to begin. Happy belated birthday, is one! The Chinese fruit cake looks so good..I don't believe I've ever had one? Your new neighborhood looks lovely and I can understand what a joy it is to be living in 15min proximity to everything (having lived in OH myself where I dreaded going to the 1 hr away asian grocery store with my parents). Really enjoying the dim sum pics as well. I'm sure as you get settled in you'll find more yummy food to document and share. Ping always talks about all the places she loves to eat at. I hope you two get in touch so she can take you to some of those!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the animal print dress on you! The area where you stay now looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear that you're enjoying SF! The dim sum is droooool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy belated birthday, S!!! Thanks for sharing the fitting room pics, I'll have to pop into a store and check out that sweater you tried on. I recently bought a leopard print dress from H&M that I am undecided about (it's body-hugging which isn't meal friendly) - I like how the LOFT one fits you.

    And all the yummy food pics is making me hungry...!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Belated Birthday SPG! Glad to hear that you're settling in well. i LOVE SF and I would move there in a heartbeat (since one of my sisters live there). Hope the rest of your unpacking goes smoothly!! :D xoxo, Phoebe

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great to see you're settling in well! The sun looks beautiful. It snowed here earlier this week! Missing you in OH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I miss you too! At least you don't have to see me bawl again, LOL. Hope you and A are doing well! Keep me posted on everything!

      Delete
  15. happy birthday! i miss sf. hope you guys settle soon! (in-n-out will definitely help--it's so good!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Belated Happy Birthday!
    Actually I like the animal print dress, I mean, I have a partiality towards all things animal prints and this too is great! :)
    Thanks for stopping at my blog dear. Do visit often.
    Would love it if you follow by GFC, FB, Bloglovin'.. :)
    FASHION PANACHE BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy belated birthday, S! Sounds like you and your family had a smooth move. So jealous of all the great food you have in SF. Some of my relatives are in Sunnyvale which is not too far from SF. If I ever make it to SF, would love to try those places with you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry about FIVE hrs at the DMV!! It's always a pain. You're good though. We waited one year to go to the DMV and get our licenses and registration changed! Great job on the weight loss! So lucky! Hey, new header! Nice! My fave of your reviews is the leopard dress. You're right, the sleeves are too puffy. And what is up with tight sleeves but loose torsos? I don't have that skinny of arms :(. Yay for getting settled! Ew on twizzlers from decades ago ;). The food looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Belated Birthday SPG! Glad you are being settled in SF and enjoying food!

    ReplyDelete
  20. great post!!! i follow you now ;)
    i would love to follow me back because love your blog!!
    kisses
    http://blogcashmeremafia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. If it isn't too prying, where in the Bay Area are you where you see cows? I grew up in sf and lived in Oakland for seem time, and am curious. The traffic driving in sf is killer as is finding a parking spot. I always use Bart when I'm in town, and it's super speedy. We just came back from a week long business trip, with hubby, kiddo and my babe (age 21 months). We got in town just in time for Giants fever!
    I had to lol at the food shots. Every time we go we load up on Asian food, especially dimsum, my son's favorite. Now I live in Texas and have yet to have a decent pork bun!
    You and Jean have inspired me to start sewing. I am taking my first classes. Any machine recommendations under $200?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry for the delayed reply! I use and love the Singer Heavy Duty 4423 - it's a basic, reliable machine for a good price. I bought it through Amazon for $130 shipped:
      http://www.amazon.com/SINGER-4423-Heavy-Sewing-Machine/dp/B003VWXZQ0/ref=sr_1_1?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1346497934&sr=1-1&keywords=singer+heavy+duty

      Hope this helps!

      BTW - I live WAY out in the burbs :)

      Delete
    2. I'll check out the machine. I'm glad you are loving living in the Bay Area. I miss it so much. Your blog rocks! Between your tutorials and Jean (ExtraPetite)'s thrift finds, I am finding myself really inspired to tackle some projects.
      I find myself facing that typical mom syndrome of not wanting to spend money on myself. Now, I can spend a little and alter/fix it to look great.

      Delete
  22. happy be lated birthday! i love asian cakes! it's so much less sweet the reg cakes out there! I wish we have in out burgers here, i miss it so dearly!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you everyone for your kind birthday wishes! I appreciate each and every one of your comments!!

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...