Sunday, July 22, 2012

J. Crew Dree Dress & Cotton Shift Reviews

When news of J. Crew's 40% off sale prices hit the internet, I eagerly started perusing the site and amassed a $500 shopping cart.  Once I calmed down, I started whittling down (did I really need a yellow pea coat and blazer?) and wound up buying a couple of things.

J. Crew Dree Dress in Deck Stripe, Sz 0 (not on sale, buy here)
Summer and fall looks - also wearing my J. Crew-inspired necklace, see tutorial here
I loved the stripes and silk material, but didn't love the elasticized waist because it really emphasizes just how rectangular I am.  I would also prefer a slightly lower hemline hitting the top of knees rather than being above it.  I do think it's a beautiful dress and looks very nice for spring, summer, and fall.  I especially love how it pairs with a leopard scarf for some light print mixing.
See on Gigi here.
Verdict: Return.  I love the stripes, but the general fit and price aren't compelling enough to make me want to keep it.

J. Crew Factory Cotton Shift Dress, Sz 0, $33 (tried on Modern Red here)
I had been stalking this dress since February.  The wide waistband helps carve out my waist and the lightly pleated skirt in combination with the semi-stiff fabric hides my belly.  It fades a little into my background here but is a nice light khaki color.  This is a great basic dress - flattering but not too body-conscious and work appropriate.
Verdict: Keep, great dress for a great price

I then popped over to the Gap family sites for the 30% promo and wound up buying some workout clothes and this dress:
Old Navy Color-Block Henley Tank Dress, M, $17.50 (purchased during 30% off, buy here)
When it comes to knits (especially ones that are cut flat), I always size up to camouflage the belly.  I tried both a Small and Medium. I ultimately decided on M for the torso looseness.  It doesn't look that great by itself - the tank straps make it too casual and beachy for my lifestyle - but I think it pairs very nicely with a blazer or cardigan.  I'd been looking for a wide-striped dress to recreate this pin.  I wish it didn't have the black button placket, but it's not that big of a deal.
Verdict: Keep.

Can you tell from the layering that I'm looking forward to fall?  I'm also returning to work at the end of August so am preparing for covered shoulders as well.

Any good finds from the recent rash of markdowns?

26 comments:

  1. I got a bunch of fun stuff at the J. Crew sale when it was 30% extra off. My fave finds were hot pink skinny ankle zip jeans (I've been wanting those since they first hit stores and waited for them to go on sale), a white & black polka dot tank top, and a blue Tippi sweater. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohh i have to disagree...my favorite is the J. Crew Dress in stripe! i think it looks really good on you and love the way you styled it. but you have to love it to keep it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can definitely tell you love the layering look and you do it really well. You look great and I like all the J Crew inspiration. Great post

    xoDale
    http://www.savvyspice.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought all sale items are final sale. How did you manage to return the dress?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I should have specified. The Dree Dress was not on sale. There were also some "promo" items that you could use the code on that were not final sale (though I didn't buy any).

      Delete
  5. I love the second and third! That makes me think, its been ages since ive been to a mall and shopped!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for all the reviews and pix! I think all three dresses look lovely on you, but if the Dree stripe dress didn't feel comfortable on, I can understand why you decided to return.

    I am also looking forward to fall, even though there are still several more months of summer-like temps here. Hopefully we will have a colder fall/winter this year, and the cool-down will begin earlier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i also bit on some promo items :) i love how you styled the first dress, actually! i dont think you look rectangular! the shift dress is perfect on you. for some reason my darn items have yet to ship. makes me nervous. i didn't know you were still off! that sounds so nice that you got to spend that much time with the little one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amaazing blog and I really love it.

    Very nice photos :))



    ~~follow each other?



    http://lajune16.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Normally I would do a double take on seeing $500, but then realized, it's J.Crew -- what else can I expect?! I think that's a sign I need a J.Crew detox asap, haha. Agree with your J.Crew picks, especially the Dree because I feel like that are probably going to be better priced versions out there.

    The Gap tank dress is super cute. I really like the wide stripes and how they look on you. ON came out with a maxi in the same color scheme and wide stripes but sold out rather quickly. I was waiting for a good code before trying but was too late. Boo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the dresses you got- I actually really like the first one on you as well but for regular price, I can understand passing on it! It's easy to get to $500 even when you are getting such great ***deals*** at J.crew!! haha
    :)
    Allison

    P.S. I'm having an INTERNATIONAL $75 Shopbop giveaway on my blog, so don't forget to enter! :)
    A's Fashion Files
    $75 Shopbop Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The stripe dresses are lovely, great selection.

    Xx
    www.estellelamode.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. That 2nd dress is really beautiful on you. I love it so much. Your review always temps me to buy more since you always find good deals for good stuffs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That last dress looks great on you for the price tag! How do you feel about going back to work?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agreed with your pick. I think you will be better able fitting striped dress soon. I really like the J.Crew shift dress on you. BTW how are the work clothes from gap?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the J.Crew tunic - I wish it'd been store for me during the extra 40% off! The only piece I picked up was a paisly printed tunic/dress; very light weight with long sleeves. It's not the most 'flattering' of items I guess you could say but belted with shorts it's not bad and super comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had to do a double take b/c I thought the ON dress you styled was the J.Crew one. I'm looking forward to fall too...love layering and wearing boots. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. these dresses look really good with your physique. i really like the first one.

    Look cute at the beach this summer! Enter to win a £50 gift card to Simply Beach.
    Win a $50 giftcard to Shappy Apple! Come and join. :]

    :)
    Carrie
    http://readmylifeascarrie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. ummm the stripe dresses are beyond. I'm stripe obsessed.


    Sheinside GIVEAWAY

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute dresses - I especially like the striped one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi!
    I've been following your blog for a while now. Would be absolutely LOVELY if you would show your face in every post, like Jean of Extra Petite. I find it really helps to draw and engage your readers into your life/blog/posts. After all, we already know what you look like in some photos, plus you look beautiful! So I hope you'll consider my lil' request here, am sure all other readers are thinking the same! ;-)

    x.x.
    JC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JC! I would show my face more often if I looked like Jean ;) I dedicated my latest post to you - it's "headed." Thanks for the input

      Delete
    2. you are both beautiful in your own ways, as we all are. i love how you have both embraced your petite-ness, and along the way made all of us feel great & big about our tinier selves :-) if that makes sense.

      thank you r dedicating your latest post to me :) i love it ... as do all yr readers i'm sure.
      hope it's a permanent thing *winks*

      x.x.
      jc

      Delete
  21. i am so looking forward to fall, too! i love layering... and love your looks here. that necklace from jcrew is fab! i want it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Too bad about the 1st dress. it was so you! i'm hitting up outlets this weekend, so i hope to find something

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful dresses, the first dress is very cute and elegant :)

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...