Sunday, June 10, 2012

J. Crew Fitting Room Reviews: Summer Sale

I originally went to the mall to check out the Trina Turk collection at BR (see fitting room post here), but of course, couldn't resist heading to see J. Crew too.  It was worth it!  The in-store prices were AMAZING (noted below) with many 50% less than online.

Ella Dress in Garden Floral, Sz 0, $69.99 (buy here)
Yeesh, sorry for the shaky camera hand.  It looked fine when it was iPhone-sized.  This is such a beautiful floral print and like my other J. Crew strapless dress (here), comes with anti-wardrobe malfunction bands inside the dress to help secure your assets.  Fits nicely without squeezing any of that unsightly armpit fat up and is tummy-friendly.
Verdict: Undecided.  I didn't wind up buying it (yet) because I feel like I already have too many strapless dresses (3) already.  Despite the added security features, they still make me self-conscious that something is going to fall.

No. 2 Pencil Skirt in Double-Serge Cotton, green in Sz 2 and pink in Sz 0, $34.99 (buy here)
I could not believe my eyes when I saw that these skirts (currently selling online for $89.50) were now $34.99.  My typical J. Crew size of 0 fits ok in the waist but too tight for my tastes in the hips / butt.  Sizing up to a 2 made a world of difference.  The material is a nice and sturdy cotton that helps smooth the tummy out.  I don't know what it is about J. Crew, but they have some secret formula at doing this with their dresses and skirts.  Makes moms like me VERY grateful!
Verdict: Buy.  My first instinct was to grab one in every color, but I calmed myself down and chose what I thought would be the most versatile - succulent green.

Bennett Chino, Sz 4, $29.99 (buy here)
Sooo, the Bennett Chino is supposed to be the slimmer cousin of Waverly with the website describing it as "superskinny, straight leg."  I would categorize it as slim, straight leg - like the love child of normal chinos and skinny jeans.  It has a low-rise and fits my waist well.  Thighs and knees are a tad looser than I prefer but I can easily slim this myself.  The legs are very long for 5'2" me but since I've been in cuffed pants mode, it doesn't really matter.
Verdict: Buy, seems like a comfortable pant of good quality that I can DIY slim a little

Silk Square, Navy Red, $14.99 (buy here)
And this lovely thing is still selling for the full price of $55 online but is only $14.99 in stores.  I've been looking for a red scarf but I'll settle for a scarf with red for this price.
Verdict: Buy

If you haven't been to your local J. Crew yet, I highly recommend going.  The in-store prices can't be beat.  Check out J. Crew Aficionada and Gigi's posts for sale watch prices.

Update: Yikes, I went back to the store today and bought more stuff *slaps self in the head.*  Will post part 2 later this week.

25 comments:

  1. wow, my store did not have nearly as good of deals!! i had to go after your tweet (btw, i think work internet eats my tweets??). i got a yellow and white stripe button up and the scout chino. for some reason the benett ones squish my butt funny. love the green skirt, such an amazing color!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried the Scout Chinos but will keep an eye out for them the next time I'm there! I always forget to check the butt when pant-shopping and I really need to!

      Delete
  2. wow! what amazing deals! especially on those no. 2 pencil skirts (which looks great on you)! I would be grabbing every color too! I wish j.crew was closer to where I live

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The deals got even better! Now they have an additional 30% off sale items in store. I'm a little ashamed to say that I went back ;)

      Delete
  3. Glad you found a lot at J. Crew recently! Especially love that scarf! I will be going this week...hope I won't go too crazy since it has been a few weeks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never find such great stuff at JCrew! Congrats! It's funny you mention the armit thing -- I hate that in dresses! Is it like where the material is cut or something? What to look for in a dress so it doesn't do that?? What a wonderful silk scarf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I think the armpit thing happens when they make that top edge too tight. Huge difference between fitted and tight IMO. Probably the best way to tell is to try on and see as I haven't figured out how to tell just by looking. Hmm, maybe if you can stick a pinky in between you and the dress without it getting squished?

      Delete
  5. You really found good stuffs in J.crew. Today I dropped by J.crew but didn't have time so much so couldn't check so carefully... I found one tweet skirt $35, but 00 was too big on me. That pencil skirts are really good deals! I wish they had one (they had, but at higher price) I'm pretty sure I'm going to different J.crew again this week!!! Looking forward to seeing another J.crew post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh gosh, that skirt! i would grab one in every color too, haha! ;)

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/
    $100 Shopbop Gift Card Giveaway -- Open internationally!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved everything you picked up today and loved the dress too!! Waiting to see what else you bought :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love that dress at the top :) but if you have heaps then don't worry about it :) hehe

    katattack2000.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pencil skirts are lovely. I agree they a a must buy, have the green one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love these! and so glad you got the green (can't wait to see what else you got!)you look amazing! xox P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really love that dress, but I agree, it would be more versatile with more coverage on top. I love those skirts on you! I can't believe I've never tried them on.

    <3 Jenny
    www.crazystylelove.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the floral dress on you. You should buy it!

    Tina

    http://2petite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so envious that you can fit into a size 0 dress after having kids! I don't think it'll go past my hips! I really like the chinos on you. I think the relaxed style especially with a shirt looks very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J. Crew has pretty generous sizing (good for the ego!) thus enabling the size 0. My hips have definitely gotten bigger post-children, so my pant size has gone up!

      Delete
  14. I like that floral dress on you! I also have a hard time with jcrew pants, I'm so impressed that you can DIY slim them.

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want to move to OH! You and Syd always find the best deals and selections at your stores. Sadly, my J.Crew hardly had anything worth mentioning.

    Ella dress - You may have enough strapless dresses, but do you have anything like the pretty floral print? The print alone would sway me. I say deliberate on the dress some more and consider adding DIY straps to hide underneath a colorful cardi.

    Thumbs up on the succulent green pencil skirt. Perfect for summer!

    I've recently rediscovered chinos and can't believe I ever fell out of love with them. I'm so happy you found a pair you love.

    You already know how I feel about printed scarves, so nothing new to add ;)

    Looking forward to part 2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, the sales may be good, but there's so much more to do around DC - especially food-wise (which is the most important)! I wound up going back and buying a pencil skirt in Garden Floral. To me, it was a little like getting the look (for less) without having to deal with the strapless aspect :)

      Delete
  16. I love the floral dress. It's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, sounds like there are some amazing deals in the store! I might have to make a trip to my J. Crew this week!!
    I would love for you to visit my blog sometime!!
    :)
    Allison
    afashionfiles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. hey, you!! love this print so much. i am eyeing the one-piece swimsuit in this print.

    i love the pencil skirt in the pink on you. :)

    have a great rest of the week!

    ps. i love jcrew so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I actually love the scarf the best and what a great deal too, I am going there Friday so hopefully i'll find something cuteee :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. I absolutely love the floral dress!So cute!

    ReplyDelete

I'm the type of gal who gets giddy when I receive mail - it's no different with comments! I really appreciate the feedback and love hearing from you :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...