Wednesday, May 9, 2012

J. Crew Ultra Eyelet Shell & Maritime Anchor Dress

I hopped into my J. Crew store hoping to see some Anchors Aweigh items but they either hadn't arrived yet or I didn't look hard enough for them.  I did spy some other cute items to try on:

Ultra Eyelet Shell, Sz 0, (buy here)
Ever since magazines have been heavily pushing the spring LV eyelet looks, I've been keeping my eye out for a more affordable option.  This shell fits the bill as far as the eyelet goes but I didn't love the way it looked on me.  The armholes are cut a little too deeply for my taste, as evidenced by the visible underarm-meets-fleshy-upper chest-area and the torso is boxy.  Don't get me wrong, I don't want every garment to taper into the waist but if they're going for a loose torso, I want it to fit very well at the shoulders and chest as well as having a slightly longer hem to balance the look.

Maritime Anchor Dress, XS, (buy here)
I'm a nautical-aholic so I gravitate towards stripes / anchors / sailboats and etc.  This dress looked so cute on the model but I felt like the large anchor looked out of proportion with my short (5'2") self.  Sizing runs big - the chest / shoulder area was roomy.  The torso is boxy but I expected that from the website.  A cute detail that I should have photographed are the 2 bronze zippers on the side that start at thigh and go down to the hem (though would never be unzipped on me).  The material is a thick knit - this added to the sleeves might make it too warm to wear on a summer day unless you plan to sit indoors under heavy air conditioning.

J. Crew Striped Dress, Sz 0 (looks like the Blouson but don't see this color combo)
I loved the navy / green / white stripes but this dress didn't do me any favors.  I'm virtually waist-less and this particular style of dress seemed to emphasize my boxy shape.  A belt could probably do wonders but the material was thin and kind of flimsy-feeling.  It also had kind of a nubby feeling?  It wasn't soft and smooth like I expect most knits to be. 
See Gigi rock a navy / green dress from ON here as an alternative.

I left with a necklace but was glad that I wasn't missing out on anything big.

15 comments:

  1. I was interested in the anchor dress too. Too bad it is not very petite-friendly. It would be a very cute summer dress if it had worked out. Enjoy the rest of your week, S! We're going to have a beautiful weekend =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call not buying any of the items. Fit not perfect. You got an eyelet shirt in the DIY plans?? Can't wait to see the necklace you bought!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you can create a better eyelet shirt than JCrew. I hope you enjoy the rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been slacking on Twitter and blog comments lately, so I apologize for not responding earlier. It's a bummer about the anchor dress running big because it's so cute! I bet the model in the J.Crew catalogue had her dress pinned in the back ;) Looser shift dresses are so hard to pull off without a belt, but I wonder if that would detract from the anchor design.

    I saw ON's navy/green over the weekend during their promo period and was so close to buying. Argh now I'm kicking myself, but I really have placed a lot of orders lately, so trying to hold back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The anchor dress is cute. Too bad about the sizing though it would be a cute addition.

    katattack2000.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. good decision. However, I liked the eyelet orange color on you, DIY maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great reviews as usually SPG. I really think that the Maritime Anchor dress is so cute. Would have preferred it to have a lighter fabric for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the anchor dress is cute, but i wish they made the sizes a bit smaller. but anyway, yay for getting a new necklace! ;)

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually like the striped dress but I'm not sure about the anchor print on the bottom. I'm still so jealous you have a J Crew store handy to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. cute blog!
    xo.
    http://fromhatstoheels.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Would love to see how the zippers looked... I love anchor styled/nautical dresses, but it's too bad about the fit. glad that you found a necklace. -xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. The anchor dress is cute. Great and honest reviews on the items =)

    xoxo,
    Suzie Q
    www.StyleCueBySuzieQ.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the dress with the anchor, is stunning :)
    kiss

    ReplyDelete
  14. i am obsessed with everything nautical also. :) love the middle dress on you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. (way late) Thanks for the link love. It's interesting how the same items fit differently on everyone. I agree that you have great skills to make much better fitting clothing for yourself :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm the type of gal who gets giddy when I receive mail - it's no different with comments! I really appreciate the feedback and love hearing from you :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...