Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Hermes Clic H & Buying Pre-Owned

Many of you already know that I'm a deal hunter by nature and love a good sale, but I also have an unfortunate weakness for splurging on a nice accessory.  Enter handbags, a few shoes and my new (to me) Hermes Clic H bracelet.  Let me preface this by saying this is how I personally approach purchasing something second-hand and is by no means the only way to go about it.

Why buy pre-owned?
I purchased a brand new Balenciaga bag once and adored it so much that I put it on a shelf only to be looked at and never used.  It seemed silly to spend so much money on a shelf ornament, so I sold it and used that money to buy from a reputable consigner instead (with enough leftover funds for other items).  Since the consigned bag already had a little wear and tear, I had no qualms about using it (though very carefully and lovingly).  And of course, can't forget that you can also get a very good price on a pre-owned item.

How do you shop pre-owned?
My go-to resource is the Purse Forum.  They have an amazing wealth of information and even have Authentication threads that I highly recommend.  The "Authenticate This" threads are manned by volunteers who themselves are avid collectors providing a free service.  For a more official authentication (for use in eBay / PayPal disputes or simply for peace of mind), check with CarolDiva for a for-fee service.  When satisfied of authenticity, don't forget to use Jean's helpful tip of politely asking for a lower price.

Paying Safely
PayPal and eBay both have buyer protection policies and take claims against authenticity very seriously.  I once purchased a Burberry bag (authenticated via tPF) and then was sent a completely different bag (different tags, different font, different serial number).  The seller ignored my emails but responded promptly once I put a claim through PayPal (PayPal will freeze the seller's account for the amount in question until resolved).  Using a credit card also allows you the protection of a chargeback if the item received is significantly different from its description (i.e. is fake when advertised as authentic).

How did I buy this particular bracelet?
I don't foresee myself being able to buy a $10K+ Hermes Birkin in this lifetime but a little bauble seemed like a fun piece of luxury.  Finding this was actually a little difficult as tPF no longer authenticates Clic H bracelets due to the high number of very good counterfeits being produced and sold.  This was worrying, to say the least, so I approached this backwards.  I researched reputable eBay sellers with a history of authentic Hermes items and then familiarized myself with date codes, markings, and common complaints with Clic bracelets (not foolproof, but gave me enough confidence in this case).

Complaints are good to look at so you know what to expect / look out for in a given item.  In this case, I knew that they scratch easily, the enamel can sometimes come loose or break off (nearly always noticed within the first few wears so can be attributed to a defect rather than wear), and the hardware can sometimes develop spots.  When browsing, I made sure to look closely at the enamel and hardware for those flaws.

So without further ado, here is my new acquisition:

Beautifully packaged with Hermes box and ribbon

Unwrapped

Hermes Clic H, PM
I can't rave enough about how much better a hinged bangle fits versus a typical slip over your hand type.

Paired with other bracelets in an "arm party"

See Phiphi rock it here and you'll understand how she inadvertently enabled me :)

Hope you found this post interesting / helpful - it's definitely a departure from my usual subject matter.  Happy shopping!

46 comments:

  1. It's really pretty! Classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super useful post, S! I love love your new bracelet. What an amazing find! I learn to love preowned items as well. Does the bracelet fit you right out of the box?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sydney! It fits perfectly right out of the box without any adjustment leaving the perfect amount of room to move around without any fear of falling off.

      Delete
  3. Those are great tips- I've been interested in taking on the idea of getting a purse through eBay- so I bookmarked this page for reference. Thank you thank you!!

    www.leopardandlavender.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that this post is useful to you! That really makes my day - thanks Kelli!

      Delete
  4. hurray!!! i love how the clic H looks on you and am honoured to have inadvertently enabled! :graucho: the PM is just the perfect size, and is gorgeous in your stack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - thanks so much! You honestly just make everything look so elegant. It's hard not to get enabled.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing your experience! LOL on the shelf ornament comment! I may venture into 2nd hand luxury items one day :) Particularly Chanel or BV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me, secondhand is the way to go! Chanels, especially, because of all the price increases.

      Delete
  6. I think this bracelet looks great and it really doesn't look preowned to me! I know the feeling on buying nice things and never using them..this happens with shoes. I am like the grim reaper when it comes to shoes, 1 wear and it looks about a century old. Good suggestion the 3/4 sleeved blazer look...this may sound fuddy duddy but I like my blazer with full long sleeves :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bessie! Not a fuddy duddy at all - we all have our preferences. I like a below the knees skirt even though I'm a shortie.

      Delete
  7. Great job! Thank you for sharing your tips and experience. The bracelet is actually one of my dream accessories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessy! Hope you find one for a good price!

      Delete
  8. I love the bracelet - was it expensive?

    katattack2000.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katherine! It's expensive for a bangle if you're talking about typical mall jewelry, but well-priced considering the retail price. One of those "it's all relative" kind of deals :)

      Delete
  9. Gosh! I am just like you with the self ornament! I have a burberry jacket whch I have worn once or twice and sits in the closet! And then I started thrifting which not only makes me feel better price wise but also to use it!
    Thats a very pretty bracelet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree! The fact that someone else has used it seems to give me "permission" to use it as well :)

      Delete
  10. Great post, SPG! I really enjoyed it during my morning commute to work ; ) I think buying Hermes on eBay is soo hard ... with Chanel, I've gotten fairly good at identifying auth vs fake (although still got fooled recently), but Hermes is a whole new world. The fakes look so good, and it seems like there are sellers who sell a large volume of potential fakes (per the ladies on TPF) yet are still up and running on eBay. I've been patiently looking for a little something of my own but am scared to pulled the trigger. YOur new beauty looks fantastic with her other friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean! Oh yes, Hermes is faked to no end and I was incredibly wary about it. Especially since good, replica Clics are hard to distinguish from real ones. Ultimately, after my research into the item and seller, I took a leap of faith and am relatively confident that I got a good one :)

      Delete
  11. Whoo! So beautiful, SPG! From what I can tell, it doesn't look like the previous owner used it much. Or the craftsmanship and material use is superb. Either way, I'm loving it on you. Is an H bag in the works? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cee! Very doubtful that I'll be entering the H bag arena but am considering a scarf after seeing how many ways Amber has been wearing it :)

      Delete
  12. Gorgeous bangle! I love it, and the color is stunning :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katherine! I'm really loving it!

      Delete
  13. whoaaa that is very nice bangle!!!! def look new and wont even know that it's used! I am still in search for a nice chanel used bag

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yvonne! Good luck with the Chanel search - there are so many cute vintage styles (many that I prefer to the current offerings) out there!

      Delete
  14. This post is extreme helpful. Thank you for the wonderful tips. That bracelet is a beautiful. It looks great with the other bracelets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ying! So glad that you found this helpful! :)

      Delete
  15. Great guide SPG! Very informative and helpful. I really love that bracelet, its been on my wishlist for forever.Can you share the ebay seller you used so I stalk them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patience! This was a subject near and dear to my heart so I'm very glad that you found it useful :)

      Delete
  16. Brilliant! I thin it's smart way to look amazing have quality items ... Well done. I love the bracelet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the little pop of red :)

      Delete
  17. Very informatative post S! Your new accessory is so pretty, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your new bracelet! I recently purchased the same one in white brand new from the Hermes store, then a week or so later found an orange one on Yoogi's for at least $100 cheaper. It was in superb condition and was glad I could save some money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on your new bracelets! I always forget about Yoogi's Closet but they are definitely a reputable consigner - will have to bookmark them for future purchases :)

      Delete
  19. i'm a deal-hunter, too! my motto is never pay full-price. this is on my wishlist... the color is great, and love it on your arm!! :)
    enjoy your sunday w/ your beautiful fam!!
    xoxo
    jasmine
    AdamAlexMommy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jasmine! I love a good bracelet - so easy to wear and get a lot of use from.

      Delete
  20. I love Hermes clic clacs! My wrist is so small that they're the only ones that fit me. I know exactly what you mean!! I've bought brand new designer items only to baby them like mad. However if I bought something secondhand, I would take it out immediately and use it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi!! :)
    I really like your blog, I´m following you :D
    ... maybe if you have time, you could visit my blog too, and if you like it, follow me back ;)
    Kisses!
    http://modacapital-blog.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi! I have a small wrist. how did the bracelet fit. I feel like itll slip right off my wrist :( I want to splurge but dont want to be disappointed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I have a fairly small wrist (~5.25") and there is definitely no chance the bracelet will slip off. The diameter is 2.25" whereas most "regular" bangles are around 2.6." It should fit you well as long as you get the PM size :) Happy shopping!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...