Wednesday, April 18, 2012

More J. Crew Reviews: Online Sale & Factory In-Store

I had been obsessively stalking this Schoolboy Blazer online since January when I tried it on in-store.  Mid-stalk, I came across a reasonable H&M dupe for $35 and purchased it instead (see reviews of both in my Battle of the Red Blazer post).  I tried to convince myself that one red blazer was really all I needed but my resolve wavered when the price lowered to $70.  In true shopaholic fashion, I snatched it up along with a couple of pretty baubles.

J. Crew Schoolboy Blazer in Wool Flannel, Maraschino Cherry, Sz 0, (buy here)
H&M Red Blazer, Sz 6
I wound up replacing the plain brown button on the H&M blazer with a gold one (looks so much better IMO) and have worn it quite a few times.  I think there's room in my wardrobe for both of these to coexist.  J. Crew for work, cooler temps, and more formal occasions while H&M's brighter color and lighter fabric (a stretchy knit) can be reserved for casual, warm weather days.  

Crystal Stripe Link Bracelet, $14.99 (no longer see online)
I initially thought the links were made of resin but they are actually quite heavy so I think it might be a coated metal.  True to J. Crew's great packaging,  the crystal portions come wrapped in protective plastic.  My favorite part is the life preserver clasp - too cute!  

Coral Bits Necklace, Black, $12.99 (buy here)
This is so much prettier in person than online.  I was pleasantly surprised to see the dainty little pearls - something I couldn't really make out from the photo.  Plus, what a great price!

 I also hit up J. Crew Factory over the weekend but was disappointed that the amazing sale they had online (see post here for reviews) was not in-store.  The Sanur dress that was marked down to $17 (after using the 30% code) was still full price in-store.

Striped Sweater, XS, $21, (do not see online)
Bronze Bib Necklace, $18, (do not see online)
This sweater looked massive on the hanger but I needed a top to try on with my bottoms.  I actually really like it!  It's a roomy sweater for sure but I like the relaxed fit in the torso, and of course, the stripes.  I didn't wind up purchasing because I have so many similar items in my closet but I'm second-guessing myself now.

I did buy the necklace.  I loved the little geometric "plates" and the rhinestone details (which you can't see in this photo).  

Factory Poplin Skirt, Sz 0, $59.50 (solid color online - buy here)
This skirt runs a little big.  I had a small waist gap with the 0 when those usually fit well or a bit snug.  The polka dot print is darling and I prefer this cut to the Big Shot Dot Circle Skirt (tried here) but I didn't love it enough to buy.

Factory Ruffle Collar Top, Sz 0, $59.50 (solid colors online - buy here)
Though this shirt is lined, it was still a little sheer so nude undergarments are a must.  The top fit quite well in the shoulders and chest.  The straight lines give it a blouse-y effect in the waist.  I'm sure this would look great tucked in.  All in all, a very pretty top but I'll wait to see if it goes on sale or maybe make my own.

I know I've been chugging the Crewlade like crazy lately, have you?

38 comments:

  1. The last top is just like the Natasha top at the reg. J.Crew which was huge and no petite sizes. I love the accessories you found- so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised (and happy) that they had a Factory version of that top!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the review! I am so happy you ended up repurchasing the schoolboy blazer...I did the same thing (bought a cheaper version but caved when prices dropped further...) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a girl after my own heart, Elle :)

      Delete
  3. LOVE that necklace - so pretty! And those red blazers are so fun :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have been chugging the crewlade too. LOL. i love your accessories also!! we are twins on the schoolboy blazer!! xox P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, it's been hard not to lately! Hello blazer twin :)

      Delete
  5. Coral bits necklace is sooooooooo cute! Black dots on white are so cute, but I agree you can wait a little!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll be stalking this top next ;)

      Delete
  6. The JCrews blazer is gorgeous. It's a good thing you got it. I love the polka skirt and the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ying! I just couldn't resist, I've been so bad lately.

      Delete
  7. Red is such a good colour. Great deals! I love the polka dots. -xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, I've missed so many of your posts since I've been traveling. I'm loving all the beautiful J Crew pieces you'd tried on. I can't wait for the very first J Crew store to open in London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you find some great items when they open in London!

      Delete
  9. I love it when you see something and say 'make my own' :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved that necklace on you :) Gorgeous!!

    katattack2000.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. i looove that red blazer! i also like the striped sweater, it looks so good with your orange pants. :)

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/
    Poshlocket Giveaway: Win a Shelly Fabric Choker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mimi! I'm still a little mopey about not buying the sweater

      Delete
  12. Totally great decision to get the JCrew blazer too!!!! That delicate necklace with the pearls is really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! The price made it hard to resist :)

      Delete
  13. To date....I own ZERO pieces from J.Crew. I don't what it is but everytime I see something I like from that store my size sells out before it even goes on sale...or shortly thereafter I catch wind of the sale it's gone. Love the ruffle polka dot top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shopping in Chicago has to be tough with all of the competition! But then you get amazing food and culture so it's all worth it in the end.

      Delete
  14. I have that J Crew blazer (one of the only things I've ever bought from them) and I love it... sadly it's packed away now for summer, but it was nice while it lasted. I can't believe how similar the H&M one looks!

    Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love J. Crew blazers - I feel like they fit well and have good construction. It's gotten much cooler over the last week so I'm glad I can wear my blazer right now :)

      Delete
  15. I love the red blazers. i really like the h&m one!

    Jenn
    A Petite Treat

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, J. Crew put gold chain link handcuffs with pave crystal accents on you and you gave in without a fight (not that I'm judging - I haven't kick the J. Crew habit either). I'm glad you got the red blazer you've been eyeing; i really is a beautiful addition to any wardrobe. Come to think of it, I need a red blazer too. Here I come, J. Crew :D

    Good thing you stocked up on jewelry though since prices are low.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! The difference is that you get your J. Crew at some amazing, rock-bottom prices! You should definitely look for a red blazer, it'd be a perfect addition to your wardrobe :)

      Delete
  17. you look really fab !i love it!!!



    xoxo from rome
    K.
    kcomekarolina.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. you finally got it on a deal, good for you! i love the schoolboy blazer. :)

    btw, the prada flats are comfy for the first few hours... i think i need to break it in more.

    enjoy your sunday!

    xoxo
    jasmine
    AdamAlexMommy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jasmine! I love the cut and fit of the schoolboy - one of my favorite J. Crew items :)

      Delete
  19. Hi,
    I love the fact that you added your own gold buttons. So amazing!! I am interested in doing something similar to a navy blazer I found at H &m. But, I just dont know where to find Gold buttons. Where can I find some gold buttons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! You should be able to find gold buttons at any kind of sewing store (Joann's, Hancock Fabrics, etc.) OR in a sewing section of a craft store (Hobby Lobby, some Wal-Marts). You can also just google "gold buttons" and should find a good number of online stores.

      Delete

I'm the type of gal who gets giddy when I receive mail - it's no different with comments! I really appreciate the feedback and love hearing from you :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...