Thursday, April 12, 2012

J. Crew Factory Reviews - Super Sale Items

UPDATE:  Added measurements for all items.

I don't typically post so much in a given week (too lazy) but since J. Crew Factory is having such good deals (thanks to Jean's Twitter alert), I thought this post might be helpful to some of you.  I ordered these items last week for what I considered amazing prices but they are now even lower (prices listed are current after using the 30% off SHOPNOW code - good thru 4/13)!

Factory Printed Sanur Dress, XS, $17 (buy here)
The print is gorgeous and the XS fits very nicely in the chest / torso.  Since the hem is a bit long, I think I'll cut off the excess and fashion some removable halter straps for an extra sense of security.  The drape of the skirt falls perfectly to mask the belly too - bonus!  Measures 10.5" chest and 10.5" waist flat across but stretchy enough to accommodate my 36" chest.

It's also convertible.  Fold down the top, and voila, you've got a skirt!  (Erm, I probably wouldn't wear it quite like this as it seems to really truncate my torso but it's good for illustrative purposes)
Verdict: a keeper - great price, versatile, AND pretty color / print

Factory Lorelei Dress in Deco-Dot, Sz 0, $17 (buy here)
This is a fully lined dress available in 3 colors - pink, blue, and lavender (though the lavender looks a little gray online).  It's a little tight in the chest so I'll probably wear a more restrictive bra next time (it's not a long-haul concern because I'm currently nursing).  I love the bright color, the diagonal pleating and the tummy-hiding silhouette.  I'm not too keen on how it makes my tush look like it starts right under my boobs but it's not a huge deal.  Measures 14.5" chest and 13" waist flat across.

I'm not sure why I purchased so many strapless dresses this time around as I'm the self-conscious, fidgety type who is constantly tugging at the top to prevent wardrobe malfunctions.  Have no fear with this one though!  They included stretchy elastic bands that connect together for extra stay-put power.
Verdict:  Keep - good quality and great price

Factory Printed Cecilia Dress, Sz 0, $20 (buy here)
I've tried this dress on before here and passed on it but the comments on that post convinced me to give it another shot.  The length is perfect and the paisley print is very pretty but there's still something that bugs me about the bodice.  I think it's because my waist is non-existent and this dress emphasizes that.
Verdict:  Undecided.  Hubby and Mom like it on me but I still feel like it's iffy.  Maybe a contrasting belt will help visually nip the waist.  Measures 16.5" chest and 13" waist flat across.

Factory Tri-Buckle Waist Belt, Sm, $7 (buy here)
I'm a fan of wider belts because I feel like they help me carve out a waist line and these belts are perfect for that.  The stretchy band gives you a nice, snug fit without cutting off your circulation.  Measures 27" between the closures flat.
Verdict:  Keep - can't beat the price and love the 3-buckle look 

Will you be shopping this sale?  

51 comments:

  1. AHHH why oh why must you tempt me so. The first dress is so pretty. I like the Printed Cecilia Dress on you. I think the dress nip in at your waist and show how tiny your waist is. You looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Ying - the blogosphere / twitter can be rather enabling! Thanks for your input on the dresses!

      Delete
  2. Love the paisley one on you for sure! :)

    katattack2000.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'll do what my sister calls "your Stacy and Clinton thing," and be blunt. I love the first dress on you, but your first reaction to the paisley was the right one. That dress wears you, not the other way around. I'm sorry to be this blunt, but you look so great in so many things, it's not as if you need to get this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blunt is good - I really appreciate it! I'm going to see what it looks like with a different belt and maybe layered but likely I'll go with my gut (and yours) to just return it. Why keep something you don't absolutely love?

      Delete
    2. I have to disagree. I really like this dress on you; I think it's the print and classic silhouette that sold me.

      Delete
  5. I am shopping vicariously through you :). The belts look like something I might pick up though, if I were shopping. TKS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shopping vicariously is much safer than real shopping! ;)

      Delete
  6. I love the first dress on you, S! The print is so pretty. Prices are amazing. I have never seen J.Crew's items are at that price point in the past. I've ordered so many things in the past 2 weeks so I think I'll pass this time. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sydney! I couldn't believe how good the prices were - just unheard of!

      Delete
  7. For the paisley Cecilia dress, have you tried pinching up the straps a little? I got in the orange color and it was just ok as is, but it was a little...saggy in the bust area and shortening the straps a little would make a big difference (I later tried on another in the same size and it seems like the shoulder straps there were already a little shorter, so I may or may not get it altered after all).

    And yes, J.Crew Factory's sales right now are great! I got so much stuff that was already on sale, plus the 30% off code, and I'm quite pleased with the quality and fit overall, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! I'll try that today to see if that helps :)

      Delete
  8. omg, love the paisley dress!!! darn, no more size 0s!!!! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ping! I tried looking in store but was disappointed to see the prices were much higher than the website. :(

      Delete
  9. I bought some items after seeing Jean's post last night, but I passed over the Sanura dress without a second glance. After seeing it on you, I immediately went back to the site to order it, but no more XS :( It looks stunning on you though!

    I also got the brown belt, it reminds me of Burberry's belted bag collection. :) Can't wait to try it on :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! I'm going to the outlet on Sunday - I'll tweet you if I see XS!

      Delete
  10. So glad you found good stuff on sale! Love those belts too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. crazy good deals! i placed an order the morning before everyone seemed to find out about the code. i totally forgot to take a look at the factory stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss things all the time! Sometimes I'll check blazers but then forget accessories or so on and so forth. The factory deals were really a result of me always checking for the dresses to go on sale.

      Delete
  12. i loooove the 2nd dress the best. it's simple and girly especially with the turquoise necklace.

    Shoetopia Giveaway -- 3 winners. Come and join! :D
    10% off discount code to Vantage Point Vintage

    :)
    Carrie
    http://readmylifeascarrie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie! I'm really loving how turquoise looks with pink tones :)

      Delete
  13. You look great on Cecilia dress! Love it. Love belts too. Really unique and chic (and good price)! Too bad I cannot get them...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the convertible dress! I have a purple and white tie dye (not as hippie as it sounds) that can be a strapless or a maxi skirt. It doesn't fit right now but that is one of the items I'm missing.

    The tri belt is really cute too and I love your black platform slip ons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm a sucker for items that serve more than one purpose - makes me feel like I'm getting such a good value!

      Delete
  15. i love the cecilia dress, and by the time i got my act together, it was sold out. :( so, my vote is to keep it!! (and i'll live vicariously through you)

    if anyone finds it in a 0, please let me know!! xox

    http://phiphi-phiphisblog.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I see this pop back on the site for a good price, I'll be sure to tweet you!

      Delete
  16. I I like all your picks but the paisley dress looks absolutely stunning on you. You must keep it because:

    1. It looks elegant
    2. It's a very flattering shape
    3. The color/print look great against your skin tone and don't overwhelm you
    4. It won't go out of style this century

    I have no problem making this decision for you: keep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the thoughtful answer, Anna! I still want to try on with a different belt to see how that goes :)

      Delete
  17. I actually saw this sale a little while ago too! It's crazy how many things are on sale but I don't think any of them actually stood out to me which was very strange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a good thing for your wallet! I have a weakness for their dresses - they seem to fit my body type well :)

      Delete
  18. I think I need to make a run to my J. Crew outlet. I have never been able to find "STEALS" at J.Crew factory. But those dresses are wonderful! Cannot beat those prices.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like the website has better prices while the stores have better selection - a funny trade-off considering most other retailers do the opposite.

      Delete
  19. i heard about the sale but was sad I didnt get to go, I love the Lorelei dress and how you pair it with that necklace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yvonne! If it makes you feel better, the in-store prices were not at all as inexpensive.

      Delete
  20. I really like that pink dress! Lots of cute items here :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I missed out on this great J.Crew sale! Stupid Finals! Oh well, there's always more. I LOVE the wide belt the most, great value and design. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the belt too - they had a retail version I'd be stalking but the lowest price on it was $35. So when I saw this one, I had to jump on it :)

      Delete
  22. I always wanted to ask someone - is there a DIY or seamstress fix for slightly loose strapless dresses? Can I buy elastic at a fabric store and make my own safety elastic for a strapless dress?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A week ago, I would have just slimmed it a little along the side seams but the Lorelei dress method seems so much better. I think you can definitely purchase some elastic to do the same thing!

      Delete
  23. great decision, deciding to keep. great deal, and you look amazing. btw, love your necklace. i have it in three colors... and it just goes amazing with everything. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jasmine! My necklace is actually the H&M version but I really love the look :)

      Delete
  24. love the printed dress in the first picture!

    ReplyDelete

I'm the type of gal who gets giddy when I receive mail - it's no different with comments! I really appreciate the feedback and love hearing from you :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...