Sunday, March 25, 2012

J. Crew Fitting Room Reviews: Dots & Stripes

There were quite a few sale items on the J. Crew website I was looking at but was wary about final sale.  Rather than buy without trying, I decided to go to the store to check out what they had.  I didn't wind up finding the sale pieces but a few new arrivals did catch my eye.

Elinor Dress in Polka Dot, Sz 0 (buy here)
J. Crew sure knows how to camouflage a belly with their dresses and skirts!  This one is no exception and so cute too!  I loved the navy / white polka dots and the fit of the chest / waist / hips but 2 things made this dress a no-go.  The neckline is too low-cut for me and I think wearing a cami would detract from this dress (shortening the straps would wind up raising the waist too high).  The model shows the length as mid-knee but it's more mid-calf on me.  The SA thought that this was a flattering length on me but I can't really pull off a midi length.  A hem job is pretty easy but I try not to buy things I have to "fix", well, at least not at retail price.
Verdict:  No, but will consider on sale

Big Shot Dot Circle Skirt, Sz 0 (buy here)
I usually wear a size 2 skirt (and weirdly a size 0 dress) in J. Crew but this skirt runs big.  The size 0 fit nicely at the waist with a little bit of room for lunch and the length hit right at the knee.  I quite liked this skirt except the profile view (I wish I had taken a good picture of this!) had a poofy bell butt.  I think I can find this fabric so may try replicating it minus the butt puff :)
Verdict: No

Gondola Stripe Top, Sz 0 (buy here)
I feel like this tee looks so much better untucked.  I really like the red-white-blue color combination and the relaxed fit but am unlikely to pay retail for it.
Verdict: No for now

While I didn't find anything clothing-wise, I did wind up ordering this from the website:
Tillary Tote in Canvas Stripe, Red Stripe (buy here)
I've been seeing Celine bags and Tillary totes all over the place so I just couldn't resist pulling the trigger when this lovely bag popped up on sale.  Normally, I buy only leather bags, but the fun colors (so nautical / preppy!), shape, and price (less than the colorful bags I've been admiring from Kate Spade) added with the fact that I've actually been very good about not buying things made me decide to treat myself.  I'll do a full review once it arrives!

Any good shopping finds lately?

42 comments:

  1. thanks for the reviews!! i really like the dot dress on you, but i agree about the length!! wish everything had a petite version. and the bag is super cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amber! I would totally consider buying if on sale and hemming - love J. Crew dresses!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for reviews! I like the dot dress on you too. I'm not sure about the length from that pic, since it looks good for me, but I do not pick mid-caf skirt for me... It is difficult lengh for petite (I'm 5'2), and the combination of my strong legs and mid-caf skirt makes me look really short actually...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SS - I agree with everything you said. I'm 5'2" with larger calves so I have to be mindful of that.

      Delete
  3. I'm looking forward to seeing you recreate the dot skirt! I like the dress on you but u agree with their cut and cami situ.

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard to pull off a midi length without looking like you've been sucked back into the 50s/60s (I'm not the biggest fan of thematic dressing). I think it's this particular dress that makes you second guess how good you could look in a mid calf length; have you ever tried on a more fitted midi skirt, like a midi pencil? I think it might look quite slick and modern on you.

    I love the tee more than anything else you've tried on because there's no way it would look anything less than flattering even on blah days. I'm stalking it for a sale too! :)

    I've been eying a Celine for a while now because I like the unique shape quite a bit. My only issue with this bag is that it'll look very thematic after it goes out of style (as I'm sure it will) and as I said before I don't like to look like I'm a survivor from a certain era. The Tillary tote is a great alternative so I I'm doing some eBay stalking. Can't wait to see this great bag in action!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, I so love reading your comments - they're always so thoughtful! I used to be quite the fan of below-the-knee hem lengths simply because I hated the way my knees looked. Also, because I have bigger calves, I thought starting the hem beneath the curve would make them look smaller. After discovering the petite community (and placing a bunch of pics side by side), I noticed how much those hem lines truncated my body. So despite my issues with knees / calves, I've been more apt to go for a just-above-the-knee hem. Long explanation!

      LOL about looking like a survivor from a certain era! The Tillary is now $99 on jcrew.com!

      Delete
  5. That stripe and dot look looks great on you. How cute is that Red stripe Tillary bag. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patience! I'm totally in love with the Tillary :)

      Delete
  6. Thank you for the review. I like the polka dot dress on you and have to agreed with you on the length and cut. I can't wait to see your DIY skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the Tillary tote you got - so cute!

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  8. i like the look of stripes and polka dots together! :)

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/
    Fashion To Figure Giveaway: Win any item $30 or less
    Poshlocket Giveaway: Win a Shelly Fabric Choker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too - it's easy way for dummies like me to mix prints :)

      Delete
  9. I was really tempted by that tote!! Glad you picked it up...looking forward to seeing pics! Bummer that nothing worked in the store. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tote has been further marked down now if you want to buy it :)

      Delete
  10. i like the polka dot skirt! too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am such a fan of polka dots nowadays :)

      Delete
  11. Oh~ I do like the bag. I've been looking for a nice work bag lately. It's going to be my first one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like that tote, it def. looks like a Celine alternative!

    Unfortunately I have not heard anything from Cara about the Allison Izu jeans, I wonder if she is still working for them or maybe on vacation...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just wrote you a note re: AI - hope it works!

      Delete
  13. Cute polka dots. You could totally make that 2nd skirt yourself. Can't wait to see! Love the tote too!!! And I hope to hop on Old Navy tonight to order me some dresses and a fedora :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for the fedora! Looking fwd to it! :)

      Delete
  14. I like the polka dot dress and the tote :) Pretty!

    katattack2000.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I actually LOVE the second outfit on you! And the dress, too. xo style, she wrote

    ReplyDelete
  16. Errrm, WHAT "belly"??!!! =P I think that polka dot dress looks super cute! I bet you can whip up a dupe if you wanted to! =P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I totally hide it. I only use the good pics / clothes where you can't see it but I'll totally share a candid shot with you if you REALLY want to see :)

      Delete
  17. I haven't been in a J.Crew mood lately. I haven't found anything I really like. I do like the dress on you. Ditto from commenter above, "What belly?"

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen! It's very much there hidden beneath layers of clothing LOL

      Delete
  18. i like that polka dots skirt but I dont think I would spend around $130 for it though. I have been on a strict shopping ban so I have not really bought anything but groceries :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shopping bans always make us so much more mindful of where we spend money - it's a good thing though. I've been holding back since I'm on maternity leave and though a little sad, I also feel a little proud of myself :)

      Delete
  19. i wish i could've gotten this bag! can't wait to see it on your post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I tried the skirt on and that poofy butt wasn't cute on me. Thanks for sharing pics. Your polka dot diy skirt is much better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one that it poofed out on! Thanks so much, Gigi!

      Delete

I'm the type of gal who gets giddy when I receive mail - it's no different with comments! I really appreciate the feedback and love hearing from you :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...