Sunday, February 26, 2012

Burberry Bright & Burberry Blunder

I love visiting the Burberry outlet and wish it was closer to me so I could frequent it more often than once a year.  They usually have some incredible deals that allow me to indulge in my checked scarf obsession.  A few years ago, I was perusing their coats and was instantly drawn to the bright pink color of this lightweight trench-styled jacket.  The smallest size they had available was a 4 and I tried it on hopefully knowing that European sizing can run small.  I was delighted to find that it fit pretty well with just a tiny bit of looseness all around.  Since it came with a belt to cinch the waist, it was pretty much a no-brainer (especially since it was also marked down from something like $500 to $150).

Burberry Raincoat / Mini-Trench, Sz 4
Unbelted side view and knotted belt front view

So when Hubby recently went on a road trip with his mother and passed by the outlet, I asked him to take a peek in the store and see if they had any good coats.  He told me that there was a nice Burberry Brit jacket in khaki on sale.  I asked him to pick me up a size 4 thinking that surely this was my Burberry size.  I was wrong.  This size 4 happened to be very large and all outlet purchases are final sale.  The sleeves cover the tips of my fingers and the entire coat is very baggy on me.  So let it be known (and you may already know this) that Burberry sizing may not be consistent from garment to garment.

Burberry Brit Double-Breasted Jacket, Khaki, Sz 4

I'm not entirely sure what to do with it at this point.  There's no way that I'm confident enough in altering it so I'll see if Mom would like it.

Have you ever experienced a similar sizing blunder?

29 comments:

  1. I really like the pink jacket! Not bad a price for Burberry:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie! Definitely a good price for Burberry!

      Delete
  2. That hot pink jacket fits you perfectly :) Pity about the 2nd jacket though :( Could you alter it? or take it to the tailors? I find I have to try everything on when going shopping because I know sizing varies from brand to brand.

    katattack2000.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm probably not going to go to the trouble of altering. I'll either give to Mom and possibly try to sell. I don't want to chance ruining it.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about your 2nd jacket. Perhaps, you can put it up on eBay? I have never been to a Burberry outlet but final sales scare me so much. The first jacket looks lovely on you though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Am definitely either giving to Mom or considering selling it. Such a shame bc it is cute.

      Delete
  4. The pink one is so beautiful. I always tell you that pink is so your color. Hope mom will like it. If all fails you can always sell here or on e-bay :)

    www.justpatience.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patience! Pink's been on my brain lately :)

      Delete
  5. Too bad it's final sale!!! Hope Mom will like it. The pink one is great! Sry I can't share any sizing blunders :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too! It's good you don't have sizing blunders - a time and money saver!

      Delete
  6. Wow I love the pink jacket and what a great price too! Ack too bad about the size 4. yeah I would see if your mom likes it or try to sell it. Probably wouldn't want to alter although you have amazing skills so you may be able to fix it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine! Too scared to alter - the thought of screwing it up freaks me out on an expensive garment.

      Delete
  7. Ahh... final sales are killer. I've made the mistake a few times with J.Crew's so I've squashed any urge of purchasing anything final sale again (still haven't been tempted yet, knock on wood).

    I would say try to sell it first, then really look over the jacket to see if you can alter it yourself (if anyone can do it, I bet you could!), and then finally, give it to your mom. Good luck SPG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was "safe" since I'd tried that size previously - I definitely should have known better! Thanks Cee :)

      Delete
  8. Pink one fits you well. I like that bright pink too. Sorry for the kalki one... Hope you can deal with it well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the pink can black and white!! !Just stopping by to send some blog lovin your way! Always checking our your adds and sponsors!

    swBeautifulLife.BlogSpot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate final sales! try giving them a call n see if they can exchange it for you? They do oblige sometimes, so no harm in trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the input! I would, but the smallest size they had was a 4 so exchange won't help :(

      Delete
  11. The pink one looks lovely on you!
    Hope you get the other one altered. It looks classy.

    -xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. yse, it's happened to me plenty of times... oh, if i could've saved all the money i've wasted, lol!

    your hubby is so awesome that he'll stop in without you at a store to get what you want... my hubby hates shopping, period, and while he might do it for me if i asked, i know he would really be annoyed, lol!

    hope you are well!

    xoxo
    jasmine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, sorry to hear it's happened to you too! Hubby's not a big fan of shopping either but he knows how much of a diehard Burb fan I am :)

      Delete
  13. Oh I know the feeling...burberry prorsum, burberry brit, burberry of london all fit differently! I think the jacket is really nice and worth the alterations, and I'm sure your mom will do a great job with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that's what it is! Size difference between lines! Thanks Bessie :)

      Delete
  14. Are these both Burberry Brit? I have had unfortunate experience with Brit where the stitching wasn't well executed and the sizing wasn't consistent. Brit is supposed to be more affordable than the regular label but it's still priced too highly for such blunders. You could also sell this coat - I'm sure it'll be gone quickly :) but it's always good to throw your good mom something nice every so often.

    I am a fan of the pink coat though and I hope to see it in action soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pink is Burb London and khaki is Brit. Had no idea that Brit had poor quality since it's still not cheap!

      Delete
  15. Love the pink! Too bad about the second because it is really cute. It does look like it's supposed to be more of a swingy style which is probably partly why it's bigger.

    ReplyDelete

I'm the type of gal who gets giddy when I receive mail - it's no different with comments! I really appreciate the feedback and love hearing from you :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...