Thursday, February 16, 2012

$10 Red Pants and Polka Dots

Deal alert:  15% off coupon at H&M good through 2/26 on phone app or by printing email from this link  http://www.anpdm.com/newsletterweb/464A5C437141445C4A744943/434A5B467544405F427743425143
**************************

Quickie post here since I'm feeling under the weather.  The funny thing is that I didn't even know it until I felt the back of my neck and noticed a row of bumps from my swollen lymph nodes (I can't see them but I keep envisioning a spiky-necked lizard).  This explains why I've been feeling listless and unmotivated all day (also why my typical Wednesday post is on Thursday instead).

Pre-bumps, we went to the mall to peruse some sale items and found a couple of things worth mentioning:

Lauren Conrad Polka-Dot Pintuck Top, XS, $17.50, orig. $36 (buy here at Kohl's)
After re-trying on my Jason Wu for Target polka dot top (here), I decided to return it.  The fit was ok but it didn't seem very flattering on me.  I spotted this top at Kohl's and loved the gray / pink combination.  The XS is loose and blouse-y (as intended) and has a bit of a romantic feel to it.  It looks like the website carries XXS and I'm curious how that fits.  The top is currently on sale for $25 but I had a 30% coupon that brought it down to $17.50.
Verdict:  Buy, love the colors and price is decent

New York & Company 7th Avenue Sateen Slim Crop, Yelling Red, $10, orig. $43 (buy here)
I've been contemplating this whole brightly colored pants trend and had been briefly thinking of trying to sew my own.  After perusing the pattern sites for slim / skinny pants and finding nothing, I had pretty much given up.  Enter StyleSheWrote.  Jackie posted (here) that New York & Company had a coupon insert in this month's Glamour magazine allowing you to buy any pair of pants for a mere $10.  

The fit here is not ideal.  The "slim" could be slimmer and the current cut emphasizes my mommy pear-shape.  I'm planning on turning this into an alterations project to slim down the legs and play with cuffing / hemming them. I'd much rather try to alter $10 pants than try to figure out how to make my own (fabric alone would cost ~$15+).  I wouldn't really recommend these pants to pear-shaped petites but they'd probably be cute on slim gals with longer legs.
Verdict:  Buy and alter.  I love the color and you can't beat the $10 price tag.

Hope everyone has a great week!  I hope my lizard lumps go away soon.

32 comments:

  1. $10? You better have brought them home! With you sewing skills, I'd prob be in big trouble. I can't wait to see the post alterations!

    The polka dot top- love the soft pastel color: )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yes I did :) Haven't started yet but hope to in the next few days!

      Delete
  2. I love both the items!! yay for colored pants :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo if I were over there I would buy those red pants at a drop of a coin! You cant beat that price and I'm sure you can alter them to fit you :) Hope you are feeling better :)

    katattack2000.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am feeling better now - thanks for the well wishes :)

      Delete
  4. Hope you'll feel better soon. I've been buying and loving red items lately. You can't beat $10. With your sewing skills, I am sure you'll make them work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sydney! Hoping to start this project soon :)

      Delete
  5. Two great pieces for an amazing price ! I still can't believe that you bought those pants for 10 dollars !

    http://www.universeandyou.com.br/

    xoxo from Japan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for citing my post! I love the pants on you, and totally agree they are worth it to buy and alter. xo J. @ style, she wrote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I had to give credit to you for this!

      Delete
  7. I didn't realize that you, like me, are a pear-shaped petite gal! People seem to think it doesn't apply to us shorties, that only plus-size women can be called pear-shaped. It made a world of difference for my outfits when I played up the top and kept the bottom simple. I still love the red pants, though. I may have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I am the very definition of pear-shaped! I used to be very rectangular but then the kiddos have rounded me out :) I'm hoping with some altering that I can make these pants give me an overall slim silhouette - fingers crossed!

      Delete
  8. Hope you feel better soon. I love the top. Great deal on the red pant. I can't wait to see what you do to the red pant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ying! Hope the alterations work out!

      Delete
  9. Wow! Great finds! I love the the romantic blouse, much better than the Jason Wu one. Hope you feel better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This cold is finally going away :)

      Delete
  10. That polka dot is really adorable! Hope you feel better very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I always take breathing through my nose for granted - I'm very thankful to regain this :)

      Delete
  11. While I really like the red satin on you I agree that the fit leaves a lot to be desired. It might just be the picture but it looks like the pants balloon in the crotch area. It's a great alterations project and I'd love to see the end results. I also like the polka dotted top - it's so fun and springy! I heard that the Target x Jason Wu line is of miserable quality and many pieces are already fraying. I have no doubt the Kolhs one will last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Am hoping the alterations work out! Otherwise, will rip out my stitching and donate. I do love the combination of the pink with gray - so girly :)

      Delete
  12. This is an awesome price, $10 for those cropped pants? I can't wait to see you work your magic! Ny&Co definitely has me thrown off for sizes....I have hard time with their skirts and pants :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have a hard time finding pants that fit well since pear-shape + petite usually means I size up and the legs no longer fit properly.

      Delete
  13. I like that polka dot top from LC. it has romantic color and must be good for spring(or spring-feel winter)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I definitely hear you on the spring-feeling of this winter :)

      Delete
  14. We still do not have a H&M in Houston. Every one says it's coming but H&M keeps changing their "expected" locations. Either location will be out of my way by 30-40 minutes.

    I really like the LC Lauren Conrad top on you. Is the quality good? Some reviews for other LC clothes report quality is an issue.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised that Houston doesn't have H&M! It's such a big city! I'm thankful that online shopping will soon be available since we will soon be moving to a place without H&M.

      Delete
  15. Wow! At $10, I'd take it home even if it was missing a leg. LOL. Great post! I can't wait to see the alterations. As a shorter girl, I love to see how different alteration issues turn out.

    xoxo
    Jillian
    www.nusophisticate.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. you got a fabulous deal there. :) i am positive that you can make it fit better. :) hope you're having a great wknd with the kiddies. :)

    xoxo
    jasmine

    ReplyDelete

I'm the type of gal who gets giddy when I receive mail - it's no different with comments! I really appreciate the feedback and love hearing from you :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...