Thursday, January 5, 2012

PFC #12: From Night to Day

This month's PFC (Petite Fashion Challenge) is hosted by the stylish Khatu from IamKhatu.  Be sure to check out her PFC post for a list of all the participants.

The Challenge:
From Night to Day: Restyle a glamorous look that you would typically wear for a night-out-on-the-town into daytime casual wear. Easy right? Bonus points if you can restyle it for work!

Times like these call for a slinky, sparkly dress that I don't have.  So I settled for my DIY dramatic collar dress (original sewing post here).  For my night look, I paired it with a sequined sash and a statement necklace:

Nighttime Glam 
Dress:  DIY
Sequined Sash:  Express (old)
Necklace:  Amrita Singh Sag Harbor Necklace, Lapis (buy here)
Bag:  Chanel Vintage Messenger
Shoes:  Gucci d'Orsay Pumps

To switch it to daytime, I adjusted my purse straps to make it messenger style and then added a button down shirt tucked into a belt (a nifty trick I saw Cee do) and a cardigan.

Daytime Casual
Dress: DIY
Shirt: Martin + Osa
Cardigan: Express (old)
Necklace: Target Pearls + Chain
Belt: Old Navy (old)
Bag / Shoes: Same as above

I'm not sure if my transition really works but I'm happy that I was able to use items in my closet that hadn't been worn in awhile.  I'm excited to see everyone's entries!

And I know this is late, but I wanted to write out my resolutions so I could hold myself accountable.

2012 Resolutions:
  1. Don't make resolutions I can't keep :)
  2. Get off the couch.  I spend a good deal of time on the couch nursing Baby Girl (who also inevitably falls asleep on me) and am becoming quite sedentary.  I need to learn to transfer her to a crib when she's asleep and get active for a healthier lifestyle.
  3. Continue trying to remix my closet.  Those 30 for 30 challenges inspire me to try to maximize the many unworn items in my closet (and also to get rid of any unnecessary items).  
  4. Stop hoarding craft supplies.  I have an overabundance of fabrics, yarns, and jewelry supplies that I keep saving for the "perfect" project.  I need to start using them or at the very least stop buying so many to stockpile.
  5. And the most important - treasure the moments with my kiddos during my year off for maternity leave.  They grow up so fast (sniff, sniff)!
Did you make any resolutions for the new year?

33 comments:

  1. It looks like you are ready for a lunch date with the girls...then you can just make some adjustments for a date with your husband! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You totally transformed the outfit. Burgundy color looks great on you. How did you hide the dramatic collar? I am just curious to know. Great job on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great resolutions, SPG! ; ) I loveee the collar of the dress. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. whoa! how'd you hide the collar? it's magic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Aubrey, so cool how you were able to hide the collar! I would have never known it was the same dress! And great resolutions... especially #1!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this!! I love the first look!! The necklace is so pretty! My look wasn't as glamourous as yours :)

    katattack2000.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That neckline is outstanding! What a versatile dress. You look great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing transformation! You went from super-glam to super-casual. Great job! I'm glad I discovered your blog--looking forward to reading more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all, I can't believe you made that dress. Wow. Well done with making it day appropriate. I love how you tucked the shirt into a belt. I am going to have to start trying that.

    Laura
    www.petitesisterstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the tuck-the-shirt-into-a-belt trick! Cee is a genius! Did it take very long to smooth the dress collar down under your shirt?

    ReplyDelete
  11. The day time look is perfect for Sunday brunch or a an office with a business casual dress code!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all the ruffles on this dress, it is so pretty. Even when you covered with the shirt and cardi you can still see the ruffles on the bottom, so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Please tell us where the collar went? I even went back to your old DIY post to see if it was somehow detachable, lol. I absolutely love the second look you created here. The dress has completely changed from it's original look and is so classy as a skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That first look is so glam!!!! love cobalt blue paired with plum!

    and great resolutions...I passed on them this year because I feel bad breaking them a week later. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  15. that dress beats any slinky sparkly dress! I'm falling in love with that dress all over, since it does seem quite awhile since you first posted it! This is one of my favorite transformation of the challenge from glam to casual!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome dress and the color looks so good on you. Like the other ladies, I'm impressed on how well you hide the collar. You can't even tell that the skirt is actually a dress on your casual outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a perfect day to night outfit! I love how you did this. :)

    <3Chelsea Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your outfit. Love your necklace.


    Great transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like the way you have styled that dress for this challenge1 oth outfits are enhancing the beauty of it!
    Happy new year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi there, thanks for commenting on my outfit. It is great to know other stylish mamas. My little guy is about 15 months old. Such a fun age!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Perfectly executed, SPG! Glam and casual are both the first thoughts that came to mind when I saw each outfit. I love how the dress looks as a skirt with a vintage vibe.

    No resolutions in 2012 for me b/c I can't seem to keep them either, lol. Best of luck with yours and keep us updated with your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, amazing transition! I'm so impressed at how effectively you managed to hide that dramatic collar/tuck in that shirt into the belt. You totally can't even tell that the basis for both outfits is the same!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your post is my fave!!! Love that dramatic collar dress- just pure glamour! And I can't believe the transition from night to day- just perfection! Great job SPG!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your DIY dress is amazing! How did you manage to get that fantastic collared top part tucked in so flawlessly?

    ReplyDelete
  25. i love the 2nd look! totally transformed a fancy dress to something so fun and casual. i have the same question as jean, where did that collar go from the dress? you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love how you transformed it to casual. Gorgeous dress

    ReplyDelete
  27. gorgeous dress and perfect transition!

    ReplyDelete
  28. you did such a great job making this night to day look! and i absolutely love the design of the dress' collar -- sooo beautiful! :)

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh wow, this has to be my favorite night-to-day transformation in the PFC! How did you manage to get around the ruffly collar? The "day" outfit's button-down and cardigan look very smooth! I'm very inspired by these looks; namely, a chambray shirt with a deep purple bottom and black shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I would have NEVER guessed you had that dress on under there, yes where did the collar go and you and Cee need to do a tutorial on the shirt in the belt thing, I don't get it LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a beautiful DIY dress! :) I think you pulled off the day look very well. I can totally relate to your craft supplies resolution. I totally hoard supplies too! =P

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you everyone for the kind comments! There's actually no magic in the collar - it just folds down :) Sorry to disappoint!

    Kelly - I wholeheartedly agree - Cee is definitely a genius!

    Olyvia / Anna / Annie - Aww, that's so kind of you to say! Thank you - you gals made my day!!

    Elaine - I really just tucked all the excess fabric into my belt. It's a pretty wide belt so it hid the fabric pretty well!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Just saw your comment on my blog...and now I've found you, too! We petite ladies need to stick together!

    ReplyDelete

I'm the type of gal who gets giddy when I receive mail - it's no different with comments! I really appreciate the feedback and love hearing from you :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...