Wednesday, January 11, 2012

J. Crew Fitting Room Reviews

Thank you everyone for the kind comments on Sunday's post!  Whenever I'm feeling blue, I'm going to read those comments for a pick-me-up.  :)

After seeing Jean tweet about the extra 40% J. Crew sale items in store, I of course went to the mall to scope out the deals.

J. Crew Schoolboy Blazer in Maraschino Cherry, Sz 0 (buy here)
Imagine my glee when I saw this on the sale rack.  I quickly snatched it up and tried it on only to find that it had been misplaced and was actually a regular price item.  :(  At $188, I'm going to wait and see if it will go on sale before I pull the trigger.  For now, it has been placed high on this year's lust list.  The sz 0 actually fits me really well.  Sleeves are fitted but not tight, shoulders fit well, waist is nicely nipped but doesn't pull, and the length is perfect (pls excuse my untucked shirt).  My favorite part of this blazer, aside from the bright red color, are the gold buttons.  I always underestimate the power of a good button until I see one.
Verdict:  Wait and stalk online :)

This is a rather long post so see more after the jump!



Merino Cambon Cardigan, XXS (buy here)
I loved the look of this but it just didn't fit right on me.  There is gaping at the chest and the looseness in the torso seems to make me look lumpy.  I was so tempted to buy this and just wear it unbuttoned but I held back.  
Verdict: No.  For the price, I think I should be able to wear it both buttoned and unbuttoned.

Drapey Sequin Tank, Sm (buy here)
I had to size up to a small in order for this tank to actually be drapey.  XS fit but clung too much to my tummy - not flattering!  It was cute but looks much better on Amber and Kelly.
Verdict:  No
Gimlet Skirt in Coaster Stripe, Sz 2 (buy here)
I was really drawn to the pleating and stripes on this skirt but it made me look short and I'm not quite sure why.  Maybe because it takes up such a large chunk of vertical space?
Verdict:  No

Ringspun Stripe Henley, XS (buy here)
The XS fits well and I love the width of these stripes.  I originally grabbed this to try on with some cords but those were an epic fail.  My post partum body just isn't ready for most pants.
Verdict:  No, just not something I have to have.

The next day I headed to J. Crew Factory:

Girls' Enamel Bangles, $9
I finally found bangles that don't slip off!  The picture on the right is a size comparison to a regular bangle.  It doesn't look that much smaller but it makes a world of difference.  My store had red and turquoise available.
Verdict:  Bought both colors.  Special thanks to Annie who shared her bangle buying experience in the girls' section of H&M.

Factory Perfect Shirt in Maxi Check, XS (buy here)
I was intrigued by the large pattern check of this (as well as the colors offered).  XS was the smallest size in store and had a little bit of a relaxed fit (something I prefer for button downs) without any unsightly gaping at the chest.  The sleeves are strangely long and go almost all the way to the tips of my fingers.  
Verdict:  No for now, not a must-have

Factory Perfect Shirt in Plaid, Mineral Gray (buy here)
In case anyone was looking for a gray / white gingham.

 
Uber-comfy shopping outfits
I just got these new Born Susanne boots last week from 6pm.com (buy here) and LOVE them!  They have a slight heel, a lovely caramel brown color, and are super comfy (can withstand walking around all day).

I didn't make a shopping-related resolution this year (I failed miserably at this for 2011) but I felt rather proud that I didn't go crazy and only purchased 2 bracelets for myself and some items for the kiddos.  Any good shopping finds lately?

29 comments:

  1. I love your shopping outfit- chic and comfortable? I'm in!

    Great finds on the bracelets! I hope to find them next time I go :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find them too! I wish I lived closer to the outlets - I'd definitely pick some up for you.

      Delete
  2. Loving these dressing room entries. I NEVER try on clothes in the store. I am usually a fast shopper - so I grab and go and return if needed. Might have to give this dressing thing a second thought ;)

    None of the JCrew items are popping out at me, BUT I do love your boots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So interesting! Is it bc you shop with the kiddos? Hubby is kind enough to keep an eye on them when I try things on but is quick with the phone when he needs help :)

      Delete
  3. JCrew is still out of my price range even with a sale.

    Ah, college books are expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Textbooks are definitely expensive! I just saw something about textbook rentals and wonder if this would be better / easier than buying and reselling?

      Delete
  4. I love the red blazer! It's so adorable. I have been needing a blazer in this color for a while.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I have the standard black / navy / gray ones and now I'd really like something colorful :)

      Delete
  5. the blazer looks amazing on you! i hate when things are misplaced, its so sad :( thats some good will-power with the only buying a few things. im so bad at saying "i dont need this"
    thanks for the note about the top! it is clingy, just a funny cut, i think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Me too, my heart actually beat a little faster when I saw it there and then my hopes got dashed. I'm trying to be better with shopping but it tends to be short-lived :)

      Delete
  6. I'm loving your boots and actually I like that striped skirt too! ;) Was it a little long that's why you thought it made you look short? Either way great shopping outfits :)

    katattack2000.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think it is the length - not the hem length - but just the skirt in its entirety.

      Delete
  7. I just came back from J. Crew, Intermix, and H&M and bought nothing. It's not that there was drought - far from it - I just have a pesky little $50/month clothing budget that I'm about to blow if I succumb to temptation (call it an experiment in self control). My biggest regret this time: I walked away from $40 Rag & Bone jeans. I hope my decision won't haunt me :O

    If there's one thing worth the wait it's that blazer. Sure it's pricey but it's much better to have one item you love than a few you're lukewarm about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $50 / month is impressive! Is this a New Year's resolution? I def. agree about having one item to love rather than a few I'm lukewarm about - I've had trouble in the past abiding by that.

      Delete
  8. I went BR during their additional 50% sale but didn't see anything great. The red jacket looks good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the SchoolBoy blazer on you but $188 is steep.. Hope you can get it on sale soon..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really hard for me to justify buying anything at regular price (unless it's something that never goes on sale) so I'll definitely be waiting on this one :)

      Delete
  10. aww man! The red blazer looks amazing on you! That and the bangles are my favorite items of your reviews. Hope the blazer will go on sale for you! I also love your Born boots! I'm very tempted to order it now. Does the stack heel make noises on hard surfaces?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I absolutely heart Born shoes - they're always comfy and fit TTS. The heels make noises but it's a softer, subdued sound versus the sharp clacking of most heels.

      Delete
  11. hey, you! how are you? hope all's well, and the little ones are well and healthy. :) i have been soooo busy lately, but trying to find some time for myself whenever i can. i still have to pack a lot and prepare for the move, so wish me luck! :)

    i love j.crew. it is one of my fave stores. i love the schoolboy blazer... but no, you should wait until it goes on sale. i bought mine in the navy at 30 percent off... i love it so much. those bangles are fab! i am a huge fan of j.crew jewelry. you have a wonderful sense of fashion... love everything you picked out! i wish i had the patience to go through various outfits in the fitting rooms. i rarely go into fitting rooms... party because i get insecure when i am in front of the mirror, lol!

    hope you have a fab wknd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jasmine! How are you? Hope your move is going well - I'm not a fan of packing / unpacking but it's so great when it's all over and everything is in the right place.

      Thank you so much! I'm a big fan of J. Crew too - especially their blazers and coats! I have a tendency to try everything on much to the dismay of hubby. You shouldn't feel insecure about it - you are gorgeous! And super fit from all your running!

      Delete
  12. Ooo, really really cute! This year, I want to buy tons of blazers. I want them in different colors. LOL.

    :)
    Carrie
    http://readmylifeascarrie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Darn! Nothing outstandingly great huh? I have ZERO luck at J.Crew and aside from just 1 dress, I don't own anything else from that store. I never hit the sale at the right time, or everything I like never goes on sale because it flies off the shelves! I am glad you exerted some restraint and just got the bangles! This month the best deals I got were from BR. You'll see the haul post in a few weeks...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, nothing except the blazer really stood out to me. You should try shopping online! The selection is usually better anyhow :) Excited to see your BR haul!

      Delete
  14. I need new boots and am liking the ones in this post! Too bad you didn't find much at J.Crew but cute bangles!

    ReplyDelete

I'm the type of gal who gets giddy when I receive mail - it's no different with comments! I really appreciate the feedback and love hearing from you :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...